Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

QuadSport will NOT start

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QuadSport will NOT start

I have a 1989 lt250s quadsport.. It ran when I parked it in the garage for service. I put a timing chain on.. I cannot for the life of me get it to start now. I'm pretty sure I did everything correct with the installation of the chain. Put the piston at TDC, made sure the lines on the camshaft were even with the head, and the square notch was on top of the camshaft when i put the cam chain on.

Now it won't start. I've tried to do valve adjustments but cannot get the covers off the head to get access to the valve tappets. The nut on the cover is so soft it just strips everytime I try and remove it. I am very frustrated at this point and would greatly appreciate any response/info. THANKS!!

Also, It has spark, it's a whiteish color, maybe blueish at sometime.. The compression seems ok. *don't have access to a gauge* but did the finger test. And I smell gas at the end of the exhaust.. I did hold the spark plug in my hand and set my hand on bare metal, and barely got much of a jolt.

But like I said, It ran great when I parked it, just a little cam chain rattle.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well for a little Update. I got the inspection caps off the head. Adjusted the valves and still couldn't get it to start. The intake valve was a little tight.Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word

The only way it'll start is with gas squirted into the cylinder where the spark plug goes.. Then it runs good, but has some throttle hesitation. When I press the throttle it sounds like it's going to die, but then the RPMs climb.. Not sure what the issue is here.

Oh and after letting it run for 15 minutes, when I shut it off it won't start up again???
Only by squirting gas into cylinder..

My guess was carb issue, but can't find anything wrong.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a carb issue. Tear the carb apart and clean it really good.
Make it spotless and clean all the jets.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Once again, you are right. Don't know exactly what I cleaned out of the jets as I couldn't see any crud come out. But when I re-reassembled the carb it fired up.. Still takes a few kicks to get it going though. Before the cam chain job it would start on the first kick.

And I've noticed since I've adjusted the valves. It's got a lot more compression *well my foot definitely noticed..

Thanks for the reply!