Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

electric start kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the Goki electric start kit from James Lucky this weekend. Heres the low down.
The kit came with easy to read instructions, all the parts (minus the battery, which isn't included anyways). They claim 3-4 hours for the install, but it actually took me more like 5. (^%^@#)&!% flywheel!!) It came with a flywheel removal tool and a starter ring gear press. But since I couldn't get the flywheel retaining nut off, I took my torch and heated the ring gear up til it was good and orange, and it slipped right on anyways. It didn't affect the magnets at all. I'm not sure about the kits for the other quads, but for the quadsport, battery location sucks @ss. Its right under the left front fender between the a-arms and the head pipe. In clear view of water, mud, and etc... The supplied wires were ok quality at best. 3 of the wires weren't even long enough. The replacement engine side case is ALOT thicker than the stock cover. Basically, a built in case saver. After nearly 5 hours, and a case of beer. It was done. 1 push of the button at it spins the motor faster than it would spin at idle. The starter motor location would be a problem to those with larger legs and feet. Since you no longer use your stator plate, keep it. If you don't want the extra weight on your quad no more, you can go back to original. The coils screw directly to the engine case. It doesn't seem to be that bad of a setup. According to the instructions, the start button mounts to your right handlebar clamp. Don't do it. Its constantly in the way, and it also won't fit there because of the bar clamp. I may be going for a starter/lights control from a Polaris. It shouldn't be that hard of a mod to do.
If only I had this option when I had the QR 250!! Electric start AND a reverse gear.

Old 03-28-2001, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer

for the electric start button...i was thinking about getting the kit for my quadsport and putting the on/off switch from the older suzuki electric start quads on there. all it basically is..is the same on/off switch found on the quadsport only with an electric start button already built in

Old 03-28-2001, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

does your kickstart work as a backup now????

Old 03-28-2001, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

It should work. I haven't really thought my plan down to exact detail, but I do want a integrated starter button onto the handlebars. Its a very minor detail obviously. But sometimes its the finer details that makes or breaks your impressions on a quad.

Old 03-28-2001, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer

Jug, the starter and the engine case both bolted to the left side of the engine. The kick starter is on the right side. It doesn't affect it at all. But seeing as I could literally stand on the kick starter when its on the compression stroke, I'm happy. lol.

Old 03-28-2001, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

i see. thats cool. do they make electric start kits for quadracers? i wouldn't care about the extra weight since i won't be racing this quadracer.

Old 03-29-2001, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

The only place I could find that sold the kits was James Lucky. And they only have them for Honda 3 wheelers, early years Quadrunners, the 230 & 250 quadsports, and the Honda Odysseys. Unfortunatley, I don't have Goki's phone # anymore. I don't think they make an electric start kit for 2 strokes since there isn't much resistance on the kick starter. The quadsport compression is quite high. I can literally stand on the kick starter when its on the compression stroke.

Old 03-30-2001, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

i didn't know they made a 250 quadsport...cool. my friend has a 230 and its true it was hard to kick over. plus i hate that sideways kick! i think it would be awesome for my quad to have electric start. there must be some way to make it work.

Old 03-30-2001, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer

The 250 quadsport replaced the 230. It was white with the blue hood and the T-Bone seat.
It would take ALOT of time and effort to make up a new engine case to hold the starter, mount the coils on, shifter shaft seals, shift linkage, etc.... Do a internet search on Goki Manufaturing, somewhere, I recall, it has the phone number. They just may have a kit. Its worth a call.
Other than creating a whole new engine case, I'm sure how to go about designing it. Maybe theres a CNC shop near you that could make it.

Old 05-04-2001, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you know how much weight this kit added to your quad and does it affect the balance of it when you jump?

Quick Reply: electric start kit