Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Valve Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment

hey guys i been reading that a valve adjustment may be in order if i have trouble starting cold (carb just got rebuilt so i know its not that lol). I watched a few videos and been reading and i think im ready to adjust the, however i could not find the proper clearance for my valves. its an 85 lit230GE. i dont have an owners manual so if anyone might know let me know please. and also if you have a downloadable manual i would greatly appreciate it lol

Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

it's not in the owner's manual? thats odd- a dealer tech will know it off the top of his head...

Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Range Rover

i actually answered my own question lol, found this page which has a great tutorial and the clearances.

Valve Lash - Suzuki LT230S Vault

for anyone in the future here it is :P

Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by raptor8
it's not in the owner's manual? thats odd- a dealer tech will know it off the top of his head...
it probably is i just dont own a manual lol

Old 01-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Range Rover

alright so to follow up i did the valve adjustment, and im not sure i did it right. i used .003 for intake and .005 for the intake. the bike was hard to start cold but now i cant even get it to start after the adjustment. is it possible that i missed TDC and didnt adjust them right or what? what would i have to do wrong on the valve adjustment to make this thing not start?

EDIT: ok so i read something about the timing being off. So i took off the cover that holds the rockers and exposed the cam shaft and the timing chain along with the valves. from here how would i determine if my timing is off or if i just need to do valve adjustment. I still am having trouble determining TDC if you guys have any helpful hints.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Orginal Trespassers

roll the motor over slow by hand and watch for the intake to open then close then look for your TDC mark to come up now your on TDC comp. stroke. Then check timming and valve adj. On your cam sprocket there should be an O or A if so it will be staright up or if you have 2 lines on the sprocket they will be parallel with the head.

hope this helps

Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Range Rover

well i started turning the motor by hand while in 5th gear with the cover off exposing the valves. but the valves were not moving. would that be because the rockers werent on at the moment? and where would the TDC mark be?

EDIT: i checked the timing chain sprocket and there are two lines. so when those are parrallell to the head i should be at TDC correct?

Old 01-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Orginal Trespassers

watch the cam and the cam lobs will be pointing down. If the timing marks on the cam are right then install cover and adj valves

on the left side of the motor there should be a plug in the center that a 17mm socket will go in to turn the motor over with and there should be a 14mm plug on top of that, take the plug out and use a light to see in and watch for the tdc mark to come up. The mark should have an T by it and 1 will have an F by it for fire you want the T mark.

the 2 lines just tell you the cam is timed. the cam turns 1 time to the crank turning 2times hope this makes sense.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Range Rover

well then the cam must not be timed because it feels like its in the middle of the compression or exhaust stroke when i have to manuually stop the engine from turning to keep the marks parallel. ill take a video and show you what im working with, maybe itll work better lol

Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Orginal Trespassers

LOL.

it will do that

did you fine the TDC mark I used a braker bar on the crank bolt to stop motor and hold on tdc

you should have a PM

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment