Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1996 Suzuki King Quad Problem

Old 12-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Suzuki King Quad Problem

Last March I bought a used 96 King Quad from a guy off craiglist near me that claimes he didn't know much about the atv at all and he was just looking to get rid of it. All's he knew was that it didn't start and it just turned over and over. I eventually find out that it needs rings replaced and I pay a friends older brother to put the rings in for me. He brings it back to me in couple hours time and starts up great and ran awesome. Road all day everyday out here in the country as obviously it's very fun, lol. 2 months later I come across weird problem. I was riding one day at about 30 mph down my dirt road and it starts almost stalling and I barely make it onto my land before it dies on me. Later that same day I decided to see if it would start and can ride it. It starts right back up and I was riding it again, but then later I'm just riding it on my land and it blows the cylinder head plug off and starts spewing hot air onto my left leg. Not the spark plug but a plug on the left side of the cylinder head.

So therefore I didn't ride it anymore obviously cause of this weird problem. Couple days later I get same guy the put the rings in for me to see what's wrong with it and what needs to be done to fix this thing up. About a day later (it's around mid August now) he tells me it needs a cdi box and an ignition coil. So I spend the nice 340 dollar bill and get them from my neighbor about week and half later after fedex guy left my package three houses down the road literally on the road! Anyways I bring them to the guy he puts them on and wants 100 bucks for the work he'd done on it all weekend, he also says he cleaned out the carburetor as he felt that was a reason for it.(later I'd find out he never put the ignition coil on and he kept it for something of his I guess!)

He brings it back and tells me I need new battery cause my old one wouldn't hold a charge. Go buy a brand new sealed 100 dollar battery from O'reilley and put it on, go to start it up and it starts right up but now it sits there and chugs and sputters when I give it any throttle no matter if it's 1/4, or half, or full. It usually starts right up and vroom vroom and about 2 to 3 seconds after it just starts bogging and sputtering acting like it's not getting gas, forgot to mention this is main reason I brought the atv to the guy back in August in the first place. I'm currently in the process in trying to find someone who works on atv's and can figure out this problem as the local suzuki dealer won't take anything older than 10 years due to some problems they were having management wise I guess. But the simple thing is it usually idles fine but when you give any gas it just sputters and acts as if it's starving for gas or leaking air or something even though me and my uncle can't find any air leaks. Could it possibly be the magneto causing it to do this, or does this atv have a rev limiter or something which I doubt cause it's an older model atv. My uncle mentioned could simply be the float in the carb not allowing the engine to get enough gas from the carb and instead may be sucking air instead.

Somebody please help me out cause I really want to find this problem and remedy it cause this is a badass four wheeler and I don't want to just sell it as I'd want at least 1200 for it cause of the amount of work and parts I've put into trying to fix it up. Please e-mail me at dvdfreak9689@aol.com or maybe just simply leave a comment for this thread. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2010, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer

OK update so far on fixing problem myself. Went to my uncle's and me and him took carb apart and cleaned everything and sprayed with compressed air through every hole and crevice. We take the diaphragm out and notice there was a little bit of gas up in the rubber part on top of the carb and noticed that the rubber was very flimsy and felt week. Could it be the diaphragm sucking air instead of gas because of it being in this condition? Might try putting another one on from a kawasaki prairie that we just fixed up today that was having just about same problem as mine with the sputtering and not wanting to rev up and see if it is the diaphragm before I go try and find a used one from a local atv junk yard.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer

Another update:
Today went and put the carb back together and put it back on the king quad and left the air box disconnected. Started it up and it ran awesome and was actually reving and running like it used to for about a minute before I turned it off to go get my uncle so he could see. I go to turn it on and it starts right up and sounds good and revs for a little bit then it just starts sucking again out of nowhere! WTF! what is up!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clogged fuel line?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

Check voltage at battery when it is running bad. Thier was a thread about a 250/300 AC running bad (which they are suzuki's) and it was a bad regulator over charging the battery at like 18volts which was freaking out the cdi unit.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

OK will do tomorrow, thanks for the advice guys. Luckily my uncle has an ohms reader! lol

Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 AM
Trailblazer

Also this seems like it could very well be the problem because I've had a couple of electrical issues that I can just now recall over the time I've had this four wheeler. First issue I had way back in about the second month I had it when it was running good was that one day I went to push the electric start button to go for a spin on it and it made a weird buzz noise like it didn't have much juice to the battery or it may have shorted out something. And so far in the couple months that I rode it from April to June I went through 2 batteries during that time and I'm guessing the rectifier/regulator wasn't keeping the battery charged and now it seems it's not charging plus converting the ac to dc to keep the quad running. They were Everstart from Wal-Mart and I just figured that to be the problem because they were Wal-Mart brand. Maybe the Rectifier truly is bad causing the spark plug and all that not to fire when you rev it up but idle fine. Already got the brand new cdi box on and can basically rule that out. I kinda hope this is the problem so at least I can be relieved to know what the hell it's been this whole time and can finally get it running. Gotta check the voltage on battery and I'll post back after I do that and see if that's the problem.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

Alright finally went and tested battery just earlier and when it was off the battery read 12.75 volts. I started it and started revving it till it started bogging and it peaked at 18.1 volts and then I just turned it off cause it was barely running after that. So if everybody is saying this problem is related to the rectifier then I guess I'll shop around for one locally so I can at least test it out and hopefully I can return it if it's not the true problem.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, then it must be a duck. 18 volts is way to much, its suppose to be a max of around 15v. Also, most places will not let you return electrical parts. I would find the best, cheapest one, because it is definely bad. Not to say something else is not bad, but I would start here, because it is bad.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

Definitely was the rectifier/regulator. Got brand new one off ebay for 75 bucks and put it on earlier today, crossed my fingers and started her up. I pushed the throttle constantly and everything was pretty good. I let it idle for a little then rev it and it's all fixed. Now I just need to mess with the carb some more. I'm changing the oil filter, oil, and the gas in it. One weird thing now though when I went to put it in reverse it started chugging and almost dying again for couple seconds until it finally picked up. Will do more investigating once I get it all put back together. Hopefully it's just old gas(same gas in it since last August, lol)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Suzuki King Quad Problem