Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1996 Suzuki King Quad Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thing. When you buy a new spark plug, at least get one extra and store it on the quad somewhere. Even when these things are running good, once in a while it might burp and flood a plug and its no fun walking or pushing a quad for a 3 dollar part.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Trailblazer

Lol I already know what that's like, and I will do as I have a little trunk on the back of it right behind the seat above the muffler. It was about 98 degrees that day when I went to get my sister at bus stop when it just crapped on me at end of my road. One of my little bros friends luckily was on the bus too and he helped me push it all the way back to my house which it ended up being the battery totally dead. I guess that was also because of my rectifier/regulator not charging my battery. One other thing that really annoys me is that my headlights don't work in low beam only high and my speedometer nor odometer work anymore. The speedo and odometer stopped working randomly in late april last year so therefore I have no idea how many miles are on this thing now

Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer

Alright went and pulled carb off again to tighten the jets back up. Took the float bowl cover off and the main jet rattled around in it and the pilot jet was almost sucked up into one of the air passages and was set in one of the brass tubes. Luckily it didn't get sucked anywhere else. Lol, tightened em back up snug and put carb back on. It fired up and ran just like its been running, nothing different. I then went to oreilly and bought two new spark plugs, come back and put them on. Start like instantly when I pushed starter and still acts the same. It idles good, revs up, but when I put in reverse or first it just acts sluggish. I have to rev it high in neutral and put it in reverse or first gear to get it to go. Once it gets going like that I can ride it around and it runs good throguh all 5 gears but whenever I slow down and shift into lower gears it almost tries to stall and bog unless I keep some throttle going while shifting. Also I went to put my brake light in and it don't work the brake ight area is all corroded so I went with a multimeter to test the connections and I put red end on one metal piece inside wire and it fried my main fuse luckily there was a spare, lol and I have plenty of extras in my house.
I'm thinkin the reason its not running in those lower rpms very well is cause the valves need to be adjusted maybe? I've no idea and ill just pay someone to do that cause I've no idea how to do engine work.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

Just drained my oil and took oil filter off and there was only maybe 1 quart of oil in it! That would explain the hot running in very short period of time. The oil filter was extremely dirty also. The oil filter was weird though. I thought oil filters were supposed to have a thread on the end of them to screw into position in the oil filter chamber? The little metal piece sticking out in the oil filter chamber had no threads on it either. So I guess you just place the oil filter in this one?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

The filter just pushes in. Good thing you didn't run too long that way. If you have the one with the "super low" tranny, you would of been stuck there.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

Yep I have super low with diff lock transmission. And thanx for that info on the oil filter. That really had me questioning.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

Well something supernatural hates me and doesn't want this thing running. Changed oil filter, oil, and air filter and put a little bit of seafoam in the gas tank. Start it up and ride it around and I stop it to check the oil level after a couple minute ride. There was no oil in the glass site so I put more in it to fill it up again. Start and ride some more and it stalls on me so I check oil again and site glass was empty again! Wtf! 4 quarts of oil and it shows empty. I try and start it up again and it runs for like 5 seconds before stalling. I then notice white smoke coming from spewing air under my left 2wd, 4wd, and diff lock shifter! So I take air filter out and start it up and it runs no different still stalling. Everytime it stalls it blows white smoke out back of carburetor. I then look at left side of cylinder head and on a plug going into engine has a little bit of hot oil on outside of it. Is my damn head gasket blown?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer

Update on last post, I havnt even attempted to start her up again but for the heck of it looked at site glass again after its been sitting for a while and the oil site glass was filled again? I guess that's just how it is on this engine, it is empty after running and fills back up after its been sitting and cooled?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

First off, you don't check the oil in the car while its running, you kill it and let it sit several minutes to let it all run back down to the oil pan. Same as your quad. Second, that rubber cover on your head problably just needs to be replace because it is old and has schuck and is leaking now (you could pull it out and put a little silicone around it to help it seal). Third, if the smoke you see is like little wiffs of smoke like cigarette smoke, that is normal. That seafoam might make it smoke some, I really don't know, I have never used it, but most chemicals like that will make some smoke. Have you adjusted your valves yet?

Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

No I have never had valves adjusted yet since I've had it. I plan on doing that some time soon and payin a local mechanic to do it as I don't want to mess with engine stuff. Ill do anything but that lol

Quick Reply: 1996 Suzuki King Quad Problem