Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki LT230GE not getting enough Gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki LT230GE not getting enough Gas

Hey guys i recently received a 1985 Suzuki LT230GE from someone who basically told me i can have it and good luck getting it running. Well ive never done anything like this so i was kind of excited to get started on my first project. Anyways i believe that my last challenge is getting the fuel pump to actually supply fuel to the carburetor. i think that i must not have hooked up the carb right because their is one valve still unhooked to anything and i believe it may be a vacuum that the pump needs to get the fuel up the line and into the carb because i filled the float bowl with fuel and it idled until it ran out of gas. anyways heres a diagram of my carb and i cant figure out where number 25 goes. any suggestions cause ive looked all over that damn atv and there are no other nipples for it to connect to.

http://cdn.cheapcycleparts.com/image...985-1986_9.png

thanks for any help. i think this is the last hurdle and then ill hopefully have a running bike ! lol

Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Range Rover

or if nothing else if someone could point me to a down-loadable service or owners manual i would greatly appreciate it!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats an air vent hose it goes no where - I don't even have one hooked up. As for your fuel issue have you rebuilt the carb yet? - and as far as I know there is no fuel pump

Stupid question ....Is there is a fuel line that comes from the petcock on the gas tank to your carb?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Range Rover

well here is a diagram of my fuel pump
Rivamotorsports.com's 1985Suzuki ATV LT-230GEF QUADRUNNER Parts Image

its the pentagonal one and i just figured out what you said about it being an air vent lol. So i believe the pump is shot because i have cleaned out the carb best i can and i even removed the float just to see if my float was messed up. And with the float off i still couldnt get any gas to enter the carb. The thing is that the gas tank and fuel pump are mounted right by the rear right tire so that fuel has to travel uphill to the carb basically and i have even removed the little fuel filter in between the carb and the pump to see if it was blocking anything and still no success. If it helps i have to start it with the pull cord because there is no battery in it right now and i know it cranks cause i put gas in the bowl and it runs until all the gas in the carb is used up lol.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here's a diagram with labels
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...emblies/116702

Now I see what you mean - I was looking at the LT230s diagrams
that's a vacuum operated fuel pump, you should check to see if you have a vacuum line coming from somewhere ontop of the cylinder head to the pump otherwise it won't operate

Old 11-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

yeah i do theres a nipple right in front of the carb that i have running from the engine to the pump and its not working even though when i put my finger over the hose i can feel it creating a vacuum so i guess i gotta go buy a new pump

Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Range Rover

hey i really appreciate all your help man. Thanks so much!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Range Rover

i got it to crank! so awesome it wasnt the fuel pump at all. i just cleaned the gas tank real well and cleaned those strainers leading from the petcock to the tank and the thing started flowing through the pump beautifully. now i have a new problem however lol. when i was riding it i noticed that the overflow tube was leaking gas the whole time from the carb. i messed with the float but it didnt do much. any ideas? or is it most likely the float sticking?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by judas009
i got it to crank! so awesome it wasnt the fuel pump at all. i just cleaned the gas tank real well and cleaned those strainers leading from the petcock to the tank and the thing started flowing through the pump beautifully. now i have a new problem however lol. when i was riding it i noticed that the overflow tube was leaking gas the whole time from the carb. i messed with the float but it didnt do much. any ideas? or is it most likely the float sticking?
Put some more debris back on those strainers! LOL! I'm sorry buddy, I couldn't resist that one. Good to see another old GE model here. Picked up a non runner myself 2-3 years ago. Runs like a beast now. Dad had it in his garage and I bought a new '10 'zuki and took it back to him to have fun on.

If you get in a real bind and need a pic off my old machine, holler and I'll see what I can do.