Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1989 LT4WD spark issue

Old 10-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1989 LT4WD spark issue

When the weather is cold (say 40 degrees or lower), my 4 wheeler will get spark during cranking maybe once oevery 6 to 12 seconds, sometimes not at all for 30 seconds. When the weather is 50ish it usually starts right up. I have had a fully charged battery and/or a 75 amp starter charge on it during the cold times and it makes no difference. I have in the past put a heater next to the bike with blankets over it for an hour or two and then it starts.

I am planning on taking off in order the coil, then the CDI, and lastly the rectifier one at a time durning a cold period and take them in the house and let them warm up to see if bringing out a warm part will make the difference. I was wondering if anyone has had this issue in the past and if so, what was the fix?

Old 10-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

update, I put my coil on my radiator in the house and got it nice and hot... I put it on the bike and holding a plug onto the end of the plug in the machine, I cranked it over... Once... I forgot the whole don't grab a plug wire rule (as I've been doing it with no issue for months with this machine), and the power that the coil put out was amazing. The bike cranked right over (before I put it on the radiator, it wouldn't start, no spark).

So I took it for a ride.

In the middle of the ride the bike stalled out and I had no more spark... 30 minutes, and a dead battery, later just as I was giving up hope using my recoil starter, the bike fired up. I had been at the bottom of a ravine when it quit, so there was no hope of pushing it out. I raced home, and I mean raced. I normally do not ride my bike like that, but I felt the need to get it home. I have ordered a new coil, but I'm still not convinced that it is 100% the coil. When it comes in, we will see. If I keep getting the issue with the cold, I'll continue with my troubleshooting steps.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

well, I ordered a new coil and it didn't fix the issue. I was given the tip to heat my CDI with a hairdrier by about 20 degrees, and when I used my heatgun, whammo, it started. I have reproduced this event 4 times so far, so it looks like I need a new CDI.