Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki LT-F4WDX Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki LT-F4WDX Electrical Problem

All - I have a problem that has had me scratching my head all day long. This is whats happening. I can start my quad up just fine, but when I let go of the start button, it immediately dies. Even more interesting is, if I disconnect the battery and start it with the pull rope it will start and run just fine. If while it is running I reconnect the battery it immediately dies... Euh! I will spare you all the different test I have done so you all can go at this with an open mind. I have worked around automotive electrical systems for years and this one has me stumped. Thank for any help you can provide!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

welcome aboard! Okay have had atv for awhile and atv just starting doing this?Or doing this when you got atv always?

Old 10-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the welcome! I just bought this thing a few weeks ago. When I first got it, the main fuse would blow immediately when replaced, it wouldn't fire and etc. After running down a short, all is wired according to the wiring diagram, fuse no longer blows and now i'm dealing with this problem and it has "eat'n my lunch"!!

Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Trailblazer

I would put some money on a new Rectifier and maybe a New Battery.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

yea im starting to lean toward the rectifier... I don't have the manual for this, anyone know what kind of readings I should be getting from the rectifier? I did check the main battery leads and I get 3.5V when it is idling and it drops to 2.5V at high RPM (all without a battery connected). I would like to test the rectifier before buying a new one just to be sure I don't have something going on around the magneto.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Trailblazer

I had a very similar problem on a motorcycle I had and I found the problem just luckly by starting at the battery which was under the seat on this model...anyway there was a wire that had been mashed and split on the sides and when it got wet it would ground out the power to the Coils, if you held the start button in it would run but if you let off the button it would die. Try working back from the Coil, Oh I just thought it may be the CID unit ,I hope not cause that sucker going to cost you! Good Luck