Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

please help I have milky or airated oil sight glass

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry please help I have milky or airated oil sight glass

Just baught a suzuki lt250ef that would not start. I took the top end apart and adjusted the cam shaft to get the proper compression. I got it put together and adjusted the valve clearance to specs and fired it up. it idles really high which im sure is just adjusting the pilot valve. I ran it anyway with the high idle just to make sure it went through the gears. It went through the gears fine but the head gasket and valve cover are leaking oil which I am sure is just a gasket kit. My question is that when I stopped it and parked it, the oil sight glass was really milky. Was this just airation from the leaking head gasket or do I have a bigger problem in the crankcase?

Old 10-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Milky oil is a sign of water contamination of the oil.

Usually a sign of a blown head gasket in water cooled motors, and/or that the quad has been submerged.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oil was clear and stable before starting. this engine is not water cooled. I am curious if it is airated from a leaking head gasket or do i have a problem in crankcase somewhere.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well the reason my sight glass showed good oil is bc the water was on the bottom of the the engine. Pulled the plug and got a good bit of water followed by milky oil. What do I need to do here. I just took the head off and replaced the head gasket and put it all back together. Do I just drain the bad oil out and fill it back up???

Old 10-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by cbaumy
Well the reason my sight glass showed good oil is bc the water was on the bottom of the the engine. Pulled the plug and got a good bit of water followed by milky oil. What do I need to do here. I just took the head off and replaced the head gasket and put it all back together. Do I just drain the bad oil out and fill it back up???
Drain the old oil and fill with cheap oil. Run for a few minutes to get the oil circulating and drain again. This is the poor mans oil flush.

If you have the resources and the money I would suggest the Amsoil flush kit and follow the directions.

Either way you will need 2 quarts of cheap oil and 2 quarts of oil you want to run. I use Amsoil or Dumond Tech when I can afford it. You will also want to replace the oil filter. While in there, check your airbox and intake tube for water and clean accordingly.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome, thanks alot for you reply! I will give it a try

Old 10-21-2010, 07:20 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

Hopefuly it didn't sit with water in it for too long...be prepared for there to be bottom end damage...and if your crank was turning/running with water in the bearings, there is a good possibility that the bearings were scored or damaged. Not wanting to sound negative, but just be prepared....