Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Does anyone know about Quadzilla transmission shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know about Quadzilla transmission shifters?

Hi Folks! Great forum! I just found your forum and could really use your help! I have a 1989 Suzuki Quadzilla 500. I just bought it from a friend of mine. It was running great for several days, and then all of the sudden the gear shifter would not operate properly. If you push the gearshift up or down to shift up or down, it would just stay in that position. Not return to center position and allow the assembly to ratchet. I took the right side cover off and pulled the shifter shaft out. It was bent where it exited the left side case so I was sure that I had found the problem. It looked as if the chain had balled up and wedged into it pretty bad at some point. I bought a new shifter shaft, new return spring that goes around it, new nylon spacer bushing along with all of the gaskets. I stuck all of the new parts in but haven't put the clutch back in yet. The shifter seems to be doing the same thing even with all of the new parts. The shaft seems to slide in and out and rotate with no problem, but it just stays in the up or down position unless I give it a little help to return to center. Is there a chance that it just needs reassembled and filled up with gear lube to operate? or does it sound like it is something internal? It was running perfectly. I am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! dave

Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome aboard!!!I guess i would go to ronniesmailorder.com,go to oem parts fiche, then select your atv, gear shifting section, Ref# 16,17,31 could be issue.But IMO the ref#31 stopper bolt would be what i would check out and see if broken, if okay then checkRef#16,17 stopper cam could be cracked making shift pattern to wide...Good Luck.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help! I replaced parts 28, 29, 30, and 32. The stopper bolt looks ok. Do you have to split the case to get to 16 and 17? I don't know that I want to be that brave. It may never run again! Thanks again.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also....is #11 a possibility?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess #11 could be bad but IMO i dont think that being bad would not cause shifter not to return right.. If you look at case cover section than ref#12 take that off[Ithink you can do this from there] and put quad on blocks or off ground[dont crank] and shift thru gear and rotate rear axle and watch to see the #16 is grabing the shift drum completly to aloud the shifter to return to normnal.... if not inspect #16 for an crack[due to heavy or hard shifting]. I guess you could if you want to after you get there you could shift in drum by hand to see if internal parts are good.....

Old 09-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to "QuadracersHQ.com" those guys know everything there is to know about Quadzillas

Old 09-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! The quadracer forums seem to be down right now. I installed the new shifter shaft. everything else looks good. I put it all back together and the same thing. It seems to be caught between 3rd and 4th or 4th and 5th. I do the gearshift up and its in one and it stays there. I do it down and it's in the other. If I sort of hold it in the middle it acts like neutral. I guess I am going to have to split the case. Not looking forward to that. It may never run again. Is there a good write up or manual for splitting the cases? Thanks again! dave