Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Possible smoked cdi box 1990 lt 250s

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible smoked cdi box 1990 lt 250s

Hey guys, I am pretty sure I have a junk cdi box but just need to run it past you. First a little background, I picked up a 1990 lt250s super cheap but it had been badly neglected. It did run, but it was leaking fuel and wouldn't start by kicking it (had to be pushed to start). I cleaned the carburetor and fixed the fuel leak, then moved to adjusting the valves to make starting a bit easier. After getting the valves adjusted (they needed it), I put it back together and it fired up on the second kick. It ran about 3 seconds and cut out. I kicked it a few more times but it wouldn't fire at all. I checked for spark and there is none at all. I started checking for loose wires, and found that when I moved the main harness to get better access for the valve adjustment a wire must have broken. Its the ground wire for the cdi box (black\white stripe) and it broke off right where it mounts to the frame.

I got out my digital ohm meter and started checking resistances the pick up, power source, and lighting coil resistances are all in spec. The ignition coil resistances are also in spec. I checked the cdi box but all wires show a open circuit, I couldn't get a reading on any of them. I see in the shop manual you are suppose to use a suzuki pocket tester, is this any different than a standard ohm meter?

I am pretty sure that running the engine with the a broken ground wire to the cdi box probably did some bad things inside the cdi box but just wondering what you guys think?