Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

electrical issue suspect regulator??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical issue suspect regulator??

just bought 2000 quadrunner 250. worked fine for about 2 weeks. took it out to the sticks to ride. on the day of the ride battery was dead. had to jump start. found that the battery had no battery acid in it. refilled it with new acid had from another battery. took it out rode it.
about 1/2 way thru the day. it didnt want 2 start again. try to pull it to start it would then die within about 20-40 seconds. try 2 jump w/another bike and it wouldnot get good connection. when i finally got it jumped (via jumpers from another bike) after a few minutes smelled electrical smoke. shut it off didnt know where it was comng from. in any case took it home and stripped off covers and after investigating found regulator smoking away after being on for a few minutes (mind that the battery was charged over night). but now the reguator is smoking away after a few minutes.
i read some forums on this. I did put meter on battery with and with out regulator the charge is around 12-13vdc. i remove the regulator bike still runs same charge 12.13.vdc. i checked line from stator (3 yellow) on ac and they read around 45-48 when in the idle mode. as i rev up the voltage goes up. able to kick on lights they work. with both stator plugged in and not.
now for the big question: i know i have 2 get a new regulator would you suspect more the stator as the source that caused the short or just a 10 year over regulator that fried? i checked for proper ground and shorts.
please help me if you can. im sorta new w/these and have played w/my sons chinese 4 wheelr but this is a bigger puppy.....lol...
appreciate any in put.
oh fyi. during the non starting time it did back fire. but not anymore? maybe low voltage?