Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

how to clean inside of Muffler pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how to clean inside of Muffler pipes?

How do ya's go about cleaning the Old Oil and such biuld up inside pipe/header pipe when you are doin' a ring and valve job, and want to make sure it isn't oil from in the pipe thats making it smoke ?

Some told me to use gas and soak the pipe in it and some said to use Kerosen... I felt Gas may work best and just allow it to hang for days to vent out the fumes and vapors.....and then use a cordless drill and a long 1/8th cable with a shotgun wire brass brush on the end so I could clean off loose peices and such...

Any Tips on how you would go about it, Or do ya's just install the pipes and figure you have the ring and valve oil burning licked and the pipes just have to have run time to burn off History added up oil and such in um'?

Is there away to repack Or Biuld the Muffler end of the Pipe on a lt230 machine?

Thanks
Scottie_The_Boy

Old 08-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use a presure washer too wash all of the junk off of it but be-careful! That stuff goes everywhere. i have cleaned a pipe on a 25+ year old wheeler it was caked with black crap and when i was dont with it i cleaned my gogles off! and the pipe was down to bear metal. and it looked amazing. thanks for reading this

Old 08-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

I DO NOT recommend you do this because it can cause bodily harm and more damage. Dont do it. When I saw this, i thought of what my uncle used to tell me when they would heat the pipe red hot with a torch, then run it. It would cause a pipe fire and burn all the stuff out. Of course if you had muffler packing, it would be destroyed. And probably burn down the shop. But hey, this was 30 years ago.

Again, I only posted that as a funny story, and not a suggestion on what to do. DONT DO IT!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanBean
I DO NOT recommend you do this because it can cause bodily harm and more damage. Dont do it. When I saw this, i thought of what my uncle used to tell me when they would heat the pipe red hot with a torch, then run it. It would cause a pipe fire and burn all the stuff out. Of course if you had muffler packing, it would be destroyed. And probably burn down the shop. But hey, this was 30 years ago.

Again, I only posted that as a funny story, and not a suggestion on what to do. DONT DO IT!

Gotta go along with this post.

Gas? You have any left in the pipe and one backfire...

Old 08-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by SeanBean

when you get the pipe red hot it does nothing all it does is waste propane, pressure washing is the best way to to it all you have to do is take the exhaust befor you start...... and bodily harm come on if you use common scene you will be fine

Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I stick pipes in my wood stove or in charcoal to get red hot. I then blow comressed air thru it.
CAREFUL!! Like mentioned, it'll throw flames.
DON"T USE GAS.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

When you get it red hot, all the carbon buildup on the inside of the pipe comes off. It will of course burn and cause fire on the way out. LT80 had a bit of a safer way of doing it I think, you know, cuz then its not attached to the bike hahaha.