Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT230 Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT230 Starting Problem

Hey guys i'm new here, I have been looking around for a forum to join and decided this one looked to be the most informitive.

Alright so i'm new to riding. I started riding in january (i'm 23) because my father passed away and he had a Mojave and after he passed i decided to hop on his and teach myself how to ride. I had a blast so i decided to buy my own because i didn't want to beat on his, it had sentimental value.

Well i've turned into a bit of a mechanic here as i now have 3 quads and a dirtbike. Warrior, Mojave, Lt230, KX125.

The warrior was a project in itself but thats running just fine thanks to alot of help from people on another forum.

Alright so i got this lt230 for free probably sometime back in may, it needed ALOT of work, this thing was rusty, disgusting and ugly. So i decided to try and refurbish it and now it looks great. The person i got it from said it ran and to my suprise after replacing the basic stuff like spark plug, air filter, oil, oil filter, carburetor it did. (i wanted to replace all the maintenance stuff to give it the best possible chance to start) Well it ran great but didn't actually move as it had no chain and still needed a ton of work to be done to it, I just wanted to make sure it ran before i got in too deep with something that didn't work. While i was doing this i put in some liquid that i got at an auto store that is supposed to get rid of moisture in the gas tank and engine. I think i put too much of it, and heres where my problem lies...

I didn't mess with it for a while because i was taking things off and painting them and ordering parts etc etc. When i was putting everything back on i was trying to start it and it wouldn't start. So i figured hey...dirty gas or something ill drain all of it and go get some new gas. So i put the new gas in and it starts, it would only stay started for about 10 seconds with the choke on and then slowly dies. I got it to stay running once and was able to take it around the block once to test it out. But since then i have nto been able to get it started again.

Is it possible that the stuff i mixed in with the gas built up crud in the carburetor from sitting for a month or so? If i pull off the air filter and spray some starting fluid she starts 1st or second pull no problem but then dies, so to me it sounds like a fuel problem. I messed with the pilot screw and the air screw a whole bunch but to no avail.

air screw 2 5/8 turns out

I don't know where the pilot screw is supposed to sit or if there is even a "x amount of turns out" default for that.

Any help or ideas would be great!

Name:  40040_1349378457748_1329930097_30811286_65273_n.jpg
Views: 2750
Size:  125.1 KB

Name:  44272_1349358137240_1329930097_30811255_3657538_n.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  130.0 KB

If you guys want pictures or video of anything thats fine i can have them uploaded asap. I have an HD video camera so quality won't be an issue.

Thank you for any help i may get! i plan on being a regular here

Old 08-21-2010, 11:49 AM
2 strokes or 4

Welcome to the forum. If you spray starting fluid and it runs then it's like you said a fuel delivery prob. The additive you put in probably clogged the jets up. I would pull the carb. remove the jets clean them really good along with the passages and the needle valve, it is connected to the float. Push the float pin out to one side and the float and needle valve will lift out. Reassemble and try it with a new plug.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats what i figured i just wanted some advice from people who have owned suzuki's before. I lurked on some forums and also saw someone with a similiar problem and it wound up being their valves. The carb is old and everything seems to be stock so i think i'll be purchasing a carb rebuilt kit.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:17 PM
2 strokes or 4

Haven't owned a suzuki but all these different bikes work pretty much the same way.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys I'ts been raining here for the past week but i was able to get out yesterday in between storms to try some stuff. I was able to get the bike started again for about 20 seconds with no starting fluid. Before i did this i took the carb apart again, cleaned everything and blew out all the jets.

I wanted to make sure the spark plug was getting fuel so i pulled the starter a few times and took the spark plug out and it was wet. I also checked to make sure the spark was good and it was. The plug is only a month old or so. I thought maybe it could be a timing issue but it starts right up with starting fluid so i dont think so.

The only difference is the last tank of gas when it used to start right up was 93 octane and this new tank is 89 octane. But i drained the rest of the old tank because it had stopped starting from what i thought to be a diluted tank of gas.

Any ideas guys?

Old 08-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Also when i pull the choke up it doesnt seem like it wants to start at all, but after i let go of the choke it seems to have the best chance of starting for a few pulls, then i have to pull the choke up again and repeat the process.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

BUMP

Please guys any help would be great

Old 08-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt 230 starting

Hi, I have an 87 and it was real hard to start until I adjusted the valves. Take the cover off (17mm wrench) of the exhhaust valve rocker and put the piston at Top dead center. Shake the rocker arm, if there is no play you need to adjust the valves. (requires removing the tank especially to get to the intake) Regarding the carb, check out the LT230 Vault website it has a great article and other info about these bikes. These are excellent old bikes with many parts still available especially in ebay. The are built much better then new ones as I have compared side by side with my 2003 ozark and realized the value of these old machines. They have a lot of power for the weight....