Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 Carb issues and noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LT80 Carb issues and noise

Hi everybody, thanks in advance for your help. I have just purchased a 91 Lt 80. It is really stock and in good shape. It ran good when we got it but idled really high. I adjusted it down and it ran good. Soon it idled too slow and would only run on choke. I looked in the air box and the filter is powder. The elbow that connects the box to the carb is ripped in half and had been taped. I bought all the new parts but have not got them yet. I bought a moose carb kit and cleaned the carb very carefully and thought I did a good job. I put the carb back on and it started right up on choke. I let it warm up and when I took the choke off it idled right down and I thought great! When I give it gas off choke, it bogs and will die if you dont let off. I put the choke back on and it runs good. I let my son ride it and it did good but occasionally would die if he tried to gas it too fast off idle. It still idles good off choke but just bogs and will die if you gas it. It would die if he stayed in the throttle off idle sometimes but would start right back up. If he just barely gave it gas, it would take off okay and run good. It still would die after a couple of laps. I did seal the crack in the elbow and put in a foam filter while I let him run it. I have read lots about vent tubes, boiling and bad petcocks. What do you think.

Also when it did idle well and I set it low, there was a sound in the tranny area like something is sloppy in the drive pulleys. I still have some things I want to replace like the sprockets and tires. Other than that the thing had lots of power and pulled me around great. I dont want to give up and take it to the shop. They are 65 miles away and I have a 6 year old who just got a 4 hour tease ride on this.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
I'd start with checking the compression.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, just checked compression. It was 96lbs. It did not hold well either. I did not squirt anything in like fuel or oil. Low?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, a lil low.
I'm starting to wonder about the crank seals. That would explain the idle changing/choke/etc.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I pulled the jug and the piston is badly scored, the cylinder wall is not as bad but even the rings are scored. The rod seems solid. I guess I will have it bored and try that. How hard are crank seals to do?