Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2002 suzuki eiger blows black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2002 suzuki eiger blows black smoke

my eiger 400 blows black smoke i think its running to rich i just got it used the guy told me the carb was rebuild when i got it there was gas in the oil so i drian that and put fresh oil in and filter can not get it to run right please help

Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Range Rover

This ATV is 'new' to you right? If so you need to looks like you to need to go over it in more detail. 'Carb rebuilt' What was actully done to it? Do you know why there was gas in oil? (If I had to guess it would be that the 'fuel shutoff' was left in PRI position.) Do not leave it in PRI position. If this was true then the carb was not rebuilt correctly because the float did not shut off the gas.

I would clean the carb, adjust settings, and check the size ofjets to see if they have been changed. Make sure to set the float hight. If it is high it could be running rich. (This just could be all or most of your problems)

Check valve settings, adjust if needed.

Check spark, make sure it is not intermittent. (slight chance that it is and flywheel magnets have come lose. This would cause hard starting, running rich, and sometimes shutting off for no reason and starting right back up.)

If you find that it is running smooth after carb and valve cleaning and adjusting, I would run it some to see if the black smoke slowly goes away.

You can also check your spark plug to see if it is wet with gas or gas and oil.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

i do not know if it was on pri the guy told me he left it on the on. i do not know what was done to the carb it burns to much gas how can u ajust the float do not know much about them do not have the money to put in shop

Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Range Rover

Is there still fuel getting into the oil? Is it burning to much gas or burning oil also?

The carb float is not hard to adjust. But you do need to get a service manual. You will need to removed the carb, drain it, remove bowl (bottom part). The float and niddle will be right there along with the jets.
I'm sure if you to a surch, on the net. on adjusting float hight on a carb it would give you the basic idea what you will need to do.
Another good idea: You can find OEM schematics/line drawings and parts for your quad at BikeBandit.com. Just print the blow-up line drawing, and have it next to the carb as you disassemble & reassemble it. You should be able to find the schematics at any online parts store that sale Eiger parts.
I don't have my manul with me, so I can not give you the adjustmemt hight for the float.

Here is a link for disassembly of the carb: http://myural.com/keihin_32cvk_disassembly.htm