Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2006 suzuki 250 ozark press gas and it turns off. Sounds like to much gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2006 suzuki 250 ozark press gas and it turns off. Sounds like to much gas

I have a 06 suzuki ozark 250. I bought a carb kit and put it on. Everything is stock. It turns on great. I push the starter button and turns on right away. stays on. Sometimes when i open the choke it turns off. If i press the gas it sounds like is getting to much gas or sometimes it kinda holds back and turns off. It has new gas, new battery, New oil filter and oil.

Anyone has any suggestions on what to look for. No gas leaks or nothing.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

If you just did a carb rebuild, were you sure to put the mixture and idle screws back in the same spot?

You might only have the mixture screw....I'm not sure. Also, did you put the needle clip back on the right slot?

I put an aftermarket pipe on my wheeler and before I adjusted the carb, it was doing the same thing. Idled like a champ, but any hint of throttle instantly killed it. I had to raise the needle, and back out the mixture screw.

I think generally, mixture screws are set around 1.5 turns out for stock settings.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. I will take a look at that this weekend. Maybe is the idle screw since i did not replace the needle since it looked new to me. I know that if i turn the screw thats located all the way in the bottom of the carb that would raise and lower the idle.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by infrantry
Thanks for the help. I will take a look at that this weekend. Maybe is the idle screw since i did not replace the needle since it looked new to me. I know that if i turn the screw thats located all the way in the bottom of the carb that would raise and lower the idle.
The screw you're adjusting might actually be the drain plug for the bowl. On this pic, the mixture screw is number 30 I believe. Not really sure what 29 is there floating out in the middle of nowhere.... Maybe the bowl drain plug.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did replace 40 I will move that around to see if that helps. The one I have been moving is 40 u have to twist the screw that's on the left of 47. 29 is the drain plug. I will try this today and see. So I should screw it all the way in and then give it half a turn?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

One a half, generally. 40 is a cable adjuster by the way, you meant 30, right?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah i did replace 30. I screwed it all the way in. I gave it a turn in a half. Turn it on press the gas and it stills turns off. I twisted the 40 and it brings the idle up or down. I have the choke button on my left side of the handle bars it has an arrow pointing down. Is that suppose to be down or should i move it up. I cant remember. Gonna have to take pic of what i got.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

this is a pic that i found online. This is how my choke cable looks like

Attached Thumbnails 2006 suzuki 250 ozark press gas and it turns off. Sounds like to much gas-post-14128-1246976461.jpg  
Old 03-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

I can't quite tell what 40 is...according to bike bandit, its a cable adjuster, and it looks like its somehow related to the throttle. I wonder if what you're doing is just pulling the throttle in and out?

Try screwing 30 all the way in, then backing it out, 1/2 of a turn at a time and seeing which setting works best for you. Generally, I think they're about one and a half turns out.

And yeah, I have an Ozark too and I can never remember which way that darn lever goes...Pushing it down makes it tight so I believe that's turning the choke off.

BTW, post some pics up of this thing! Is that a piggy back shock on the front end?? I'm also curious to see how they look w/ hand guards.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just re-saw that you got the pic from online. That's a Z-400.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

screw 30 all the way in backed out 1 1/2 turns and the same thing happens. After playing with it for hours i go it to stay on when i press gas but it kinda chockes at the begining then takes off. While driving you could hear it miss firing. Sounds like gun shots coming from the muffler.

Quick Reply: 2006 suzuki 250 ozark press gas and it turns off. Sounds like to much gas