Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

99 King Quad dies on hills

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 King Quad dies on hills

This problem started last year, but was very random, and not easily reproduced. This year the problem is worsening, is more easily reproduced, and I can't quite figure it out. When I am riding up a fairly steep, but well groomed hill, if I push the bike passed half throttle, it will ride fine for a short time, then start cutting out, then finally just shut off. Just like someone turns the fuel off. I have to wait about 5-10 mins to even get it to fire back up. It acts like there is absolutely zero fuel in the carb. I haven't torn it apart just yet, as I'm not sure what to look for. I would think that if the needle valve was sticking, it would fill up the bowl quite quickly and start up after a few seconds. So I think I've ruled that out. I would think if one of the jets were bad or dirty, I'd notice a much different type of performance, but she still starts and runs just fine on all terrains but the long hills. I've read/heard that one of the diaphragms in the carb might be suspect, but once again, I'd like some input before I start dropping money on parts that do not need to be replaced.

I've done the usual checking...good fuel, clean (and non-fouled) plug, a clean air filter, etc. Doesn't blow black smoke from a rich mixture. Only will backfire when it shuts off going up the hill.

FWIW I have a friend who has a 97 KQ and for some reason thought the choke lever needed to be down...ran really rich, fouled plugs, wasted fuel, but his had the same symptoms when going up the hills. I simply corrected his error and readjusted his idle screw, and his problems went away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sticking float. Do a simple bottom end carb clean-out and I bet you'll fix it.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is high on my list of culprits. Thanks.

I stopped by the dealership and picked on one of the mechanics. He said it might be a clogged/dirty fuel pump, or perhaps a bad gas cap. Apparently the vent can occasionally fail, creating a vacuum in the tank, and not allowing fuel down the lines. Gonna give her heck and see what I can find out.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old KQ had a pinched vent line off the fuel cap - but it just generally ran crappy, wasn't limited to when it was climbing hills. Still, easy to check that one.