Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1988 Suzuki LT-4WD No Spark!!!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1988 Suzuki LT-4WD No Spark!!!!!

Hey Guys......

Once again, I'm having the same no spark condition with a 1988 Suzuki LT-4WD. I replaced many of the electrical parts including the coil, nothing worked. I gave up and took it to a local dealer to be fixed. When I took the bike in, they insisted on checking the wiring first, and said it was fine. So, a rebuilt stator was installed including quite a few gaskets. Ten weeks later, and a bill of almost $800 (which included 4 new tires) I got my quad back. I plowed my driveway about 5 times, and brought firewood to my deck probably 5 times. It ran like a brand new machine! Then, about 3 weeks ago, it wouldn't start again!!!!! I checked, again, it had NO SPARK! UGH! I borrowed a truck and had to push it to load it. When I got to the repair shop, it started right up. Today, they called and said they cannot get it to start and wanted to see what I wanted to do. He said the bill was already up to $179 for checking the wiring!!!!! But I already paid for that testing of the wires the first time, didn't I??! Obviously, I paid for a rebuild on the stator and gaskets too for no reason. It must have been fine, and the problem is in the wiring somewhere. How come they can't find it?

I've got so much invested in this ATV now, that I have to keep going, but I'll have to find the problem myself. I'll get the bike back home soon. I hope I can talk them out of this "BS" last $179 charge, seeing how I already paid for the wiring check.

(This ATV has never been abused, and I have owned it since it was brand new. It is in excellent condition, except for the electrical problem.)

Can anyone shed some light on this no spark condition?

Thanks,
Jackie

Old 06-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Range Rover

Ya mean to tell me, no one has ever had this problem on this forum? Come on guys, someone has gone through this and found an answer!!!! Okay, can someone at least give me a suggestion on where to start troubleshooting this quad?????

Old 06-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

eh well if they gave you a new stator, and the wiring is fine, i'd check the CDI box.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Range Rover

The shop swapped out another CDI with mine, and it still had no spark.

I brought the quad home on FRiday. (It wouldn't start, and I paid another 110.87 for NOTHING!) Today I went out to the garage and it started right up!!!! I drove it around the yard and kept playing with the wiring harness hoping it would stop running. It ran perfectly! I put it back in the garage, and kept starting it w/o a problem. I went back out to the garage an hour later, and again it started right up. I did this 3 times, and the 4th time it had no spark again. Possibly the ignition switch? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jackie

Old 07-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Range Rover
Question

Today we pulled out the wiring harness and checked EVERY wire. They are as PRISTINE as the day the quad was manufactured. Now, if it isn't the coil, the plug, CDI, regulator, stator, and now the wires check out fine. What is left to be checked out and tested? It was running fine when I ripped out the harness. But, until I can fine something that is clearly wrong, I won't be able to trust the bike. One dday it runs, and the next thing you know, there is no spark again. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackie

Old 07-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would guess it has something to do with the wiring, since its an intermittent problem. Yes the dealer tested out the wiring to be fine, but if there is a frayed wire somewhere, it might test fine at one moment, but when you drive the quad and go over bumps it may be just enough to tweak it so it shorts out, creating your no spark problem. I would look around on ebay and pick up a used wiring harness for about $30 bucks. You will have to take off all the plastic which is quite a bit of work, especially if the bolts are all rusted, but it would be worth it. If you replace the whole harness and the problem still exists, there is a possibility of new parts being defective, CDI or stator. But you already have enough money invested in that. I would start with the harness. good luck

Old 07-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by AdirondackGal
Today we pulled out the wiring harness and checked EVERY wire. They are as PRISTINE as the day the quad was manufactured. Now, if it isn't the coil, the plug, CDI, regulator, stator, and now the wires check out fine. What is left to be checked out and tested? It was running fine when I ripped out the harness. But, until I can fine something that is clearly wrong, I won't be able to trust the bike. One dday it runs, and the next thing you know, there is no spark again. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackie

Did you ohm the wires, or just look at the insulation? The wire inside can be broken due to flexing but the insulation may be ok.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

You could also bypass the stock ignition switch with a temporary one and see if that solves the problem. If it starts consistanly like that, I would rule it as a faulty switch.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Range Rover
Default Help with ohming wires

Originally Posted by Kenm
Did you ohm the wires, or just look at the insulation? The wire inside can be broken due to flexing but the insulation may be ok.
In all honesty, I'm not sure how to ohm out the wires or how to tell if the results are good or bad. I have a digital multitester and have checked for continuity, but that doesn't mean that all the copper strands inside the insulation are intact. It would only take one single copper strand to show continuity, isn't that correct?

I have this odd hunch that if it is a wire, it is right at the base of the handlebars. But, when the bike is running, and if there was a problem there, wouldn't the bike quit?

Thanks for your help!
Jackie

Old 07-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by dsmith222
I would guess it has something to do with the wiring, since its an intermittent problem. Yes the dealer tested out the wiring to be fine, but if there is a frayed wire somewhere, it might test fine at one moment, but when you drive the quad and go over bumps it may be just enough to tweak it so it shorts out, creating your no spark problem. I would look around on ebay and pick up a used wiring harness for about $30 bucks. You will have to take off all the plastic which is quite a bit of work, especially if the bolts are all rusted, but it would be worth it. If you replace the whole harness and the problem still exists, there is a possibility of new parts being defective, CDI or stator. But you already have enough money invested in that. I would start with the harness. good luck
I have been looking for a used harnesss but haven't had much luck locating one. I even contacted babbitts about one, but I don't think they can get one for me. The bike right now looks like something out of Mad Maxx of Thunderdome, as it is completely stripped down to 4 tires, engine, and battery. The Quad is not rusted at all, as it has been babied and kept in a garage for it's 21 years. In fact, it looks like a brand new machine.

I'm trying to learn how to ohm out the wires to look for some bad wires. Would you know how to bypass the kill switch?

Thanks for your help,
Jackie

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1988 Suzuki LT-4WD No Spark!!!!!