Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1988 Suzuki LT-4WD No Spark!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdirondackGal
Hey Ken,

I cannot believe it has been a MONTH! I fully intended on getting back here in a few days, possibly a week! (Personal problems have kept me away.)

Anyway, the ATV has been running fine all summer. Yesterday it wouldn't start again, but fired right up this morning when I needed it to haul some firewood. When I put it back in the shed, I turned to key off and the bike kept running! I pulled the key out and it kept putting along. Okay, now...... It had a starting problem, now it has a shutting off problem! LOL! I pulled the switch apart and it still ran. I had to pull the plug wire to shut it down! Could the ignition switch be the problem???? Unfortunately, I dropped the back end of the switch (with the contacts exposed) and it hit the regulator/rectifier, and I heard an electrical snap... GASP! Did this external power fry the regulator?

Is there a way I can wire in a toggle switch in lieu of this keyed switch?

GGGRRRRrrrrrrr

Any help would be appreciated
Jackie
Hey Jackie,

Well, I can't believe that a protege of mine would do such a thing!!!! Ha, Ha

That electrical snap that you heard is usually but not always a bad sign....

I don't have a lot of time now but I can point out a couple of things:

1. To kill engine (non emergency) the fuel shutoff can be used. (a lot less painful for you and the bike!)

2. To test charging system for damage attach dvm leads to battery terminals before starting bike, voltage will be around 12.5V. Then start bike, voltage should jump to around 13.5 volts, and then cycle back down as battery charges. (these are rough numbers)

3. I'll have to think about the rest...

4. Don't smoke anything else in the meantime!

Welcome Back
Ken

Old 09-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Range Rover

Hey Ken,

I cannot believe it has been a MONTH! I fully intended on getting back here in a few days, possibly a week! (Personal problems have kept me away.)

Anyway, the ATV has been running fine all summer. Yesterday it wouldn't start again, but fired right up this morning when I needed it to haul some firewood. When I put it back in the shed, I turned to key off and the bike kept running! I pulled the key out and it kept putting along. Okay, now...... It had a starting problem, now it has a shutting off problem! LOL! I pulled the switch apart and it still ran. I had to pull the plug wire to shut it down! Could the ignition switch be the problem???? Unfortunately, I dropped the back end of the switch (with the contacts exposed) and it hit the regulator/rectifier, and I heard an electrical snap... GASP! Did this external power fry the regulator?

Is there a way I can wire in a toggle switch in lieu of this keyed switch?

GGGRRRRrrrrrrr

Any help would be appreciated
Jackie
That's our old friend the black/yellow wire. But the kill switch should still shut the engine down.

I think it would be a shame to hack up your electricial system ,why not go this route: SUZUKI KING QUAD QUADRUNNER IGNITION SWITCH:eBay Motors (item 350233299127 end time Sep-27-09 08:59:56 PDT)

You said you broke the B/Y connection at the cdi and the quad still wouldn't start...

I'm off to Bar Harbor this weekend, so you're on your own. You can reach me at Geddys! Ha,HA

Old 09-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Range Rover

Oops, that one has no key.

If your kill switch doesn't work either then the problem is not your ignition switch...

Old 09-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Range Rover

Whew Ken... I thought I lost ya!

When the ATV wouldn't shut off, I cannot believe that I didn't think about hitting the kill switch! Geeze Louise!

Since I pulled the spark plug wire off the plug to stop the engine, it won't start. I turn the key on and the neutral light won't even light, nor will the starter spin. Nothing... NADA!

Maybe it had to break completely before it could be fixed???????? Well, I think it's broken enough now!

Where do I start now? New ignition switch?

Thanks,
Jackie

Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Range Rover

Get a new ignition key and then put a new atv under it

I am going to guess that when you shorted out the ignition switch you blew the 12 volt fuse. Follow the small red wire from the battery and you should find this fuse. You can ohm it, should read 0. If bad replace (be sure to use correct amperage) and then check out the charging system....

Old 09-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Kenm

Get a new ignition key and then put a new atv under it

I am going to guess that when you shorted out the ignition switch you blew the 12 volt fuse. Follow the small red wire from the battery and you should find this fuse. You can ohm it, should read 0. If bad replace (be sure to use correct amperage) and then check out the charging system....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Did you decide that while having a cold one at Geddy's????
Seriously, IF I could afford a new quad.. I would have one! THis is plain crazy, but I have so much invested in this ATV, I can't afford to quit now. UGH!!!!! (I love a challenge, but this one has gone on WAYYYYYY too long!)

BINGO, I did find the main fuse blown. I replaced it and the neutral light came on, but the quad wouldn't start. (wouldn't turn over) I unplugged the black/yellow wire and then it started, but wouldn't shut off until I plugged the connector back in.

Now, today, the black/yellow stripe is plugged in and it is starting AND shutting off properly. Do you think the ATV is posessed?

Now I'm thinking it is the kill switch that is causing the problems. But, I could have multiple problems, right????

Thanks for not deserting me, Ken :-)
Jackie

Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Did you decide that while having a cold one at Geddy's????
Seriously, IF I could afford a new quad.. I would have one! THis is plain crazy, but I have so much invested in this ATV, I can't afford to quit now. UGH!!!!! (I love a challenge, but this one has gone on WAYYYYYY too long!)

BINGO, I did find the main fuse blown. I replaced it and the neutral light came on, but the quad wouldn't start. (wouldn't turn over) I unplugged the black/yellow wire and then it started, but wouldn't shut off until I plugged the connector back in.

Now, today, the black/yellow stripe is plugged in and it is starting AND shutting off properly. Do you think the ATV is posessed?

Now I'm thinking it is the kill switch that is causing the problems. But, I could have multiple problems, right????

Thanks for not deserting me, Ken :-)
Jackie
No, it was over a hot one (volcano bowl!)

Seriously though, I think you've angered the atv gods by not fixing your broken speedometer,and now they're having a little fun with you.

The B/Y wire only affects the spark, not the starter motor. You never had any starter problems till your latest adventure with the ignition switch so probably not the kill switch, although if you have another starting issue you can cycle the switch.

Honestly with all that ignition switch has been through it might be a good idea to replace it.

How is the dielectric grease removal project going?

Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Range Rover

No, it was over a hot one (volcano bowl!)

Seriously though, I think you've angered the atv gods by not fixing your broken speedometer,and now they're having a little fun with you.

The B/Y wire only affects the spark, not the starter motor. You never had any starter problems till your latest adventure with the ignition switch so probably not the kill switch, although if you have another starting issue you can cycle the switch.

Honestly with all that ignition switch has been through it might be a good idea to replace it.

How is the dielectric grease removal project going?
The ATV God, huh? LMAO!

I honestly had forgotten about the dielectric grease removal. I will be going to town later this week and will see what I can find for a cleaner. Perhaps I discounted this subject because the quad was having starting issues before I cleaned all the contacts and applied the dielectric grease. I just thought it would work since I used it on a snow plow connectors in the past. HHhhmmmmmm

My neighbors told me that the other day, when the ATV wouldn't shut off until I hooked up the B/Y wire, and had to unplug it to get it to start..... They said the starter WAS turning, it just didn't fire up until I disconnected the B/Y connector.

Today the ATV started right up. I hauled some wood, parked the thing in the sun, and 1/2 hour later it wouldn't start again. I pushed it into the shade and about 20 minutes later she fired right up. I rode it to my neighbors, went inside, and it wouldn't start when I came out. My neighbor tried using the recoil starter to no avail. I unplugged the b/y wire and that didn't help either. We pushed the sucker home... UGH!!!!!!

What do I have to do to please this ATV God?????

Jackie

Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Range Rover

What do I have to do to please this ATV God??

Well Jackie, I talked to the ATV god, and he's still pretty pissed! He says that you've got three ways to go:

1. Get a manual for the test procedures for the magneto and pulse inputs to the CDI unit. He says that you can sell the manual on someplace called EBAY when you're finished with it.

2. Do the tests that mortal Ken suggested and provide accurate data.

3. Use your ATV when it decides to run.

I think he's being a little harsh, but he says you need some tough love!

Old 09-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Range Rover

What do I have to do to please this ATV God??

Well Jackie, I talked to the ATV god, and he's still pretty pissed! He says that you've got three ways to go:

1. Get a manual for the test procedures for the magneto and pulse inputs to the CDI unit. He says that you can sell the manual on someplace called EBAY when you're finished with it.

2. Do the tests that mortal Ken suggested and provide accurate data.

3. Use your ATV when it decides to run.

I think he's being a little harsh, but he says you need some tough love!
Okay, I will try my best to redo the testing as you suggested, and provide you with accurate data. But I have to wonder if I can test the stator/magneto if the ATV isn't running. Also, can you provide me with directions for permanetly disabling the kill switch. If I can disable the kill switch, I can afford to purchase a new ignition switch. (I cannot afford both)

When the quad was running today it stalled while I was driving it. It never did that before!
It was a bear to start,, but finally fired up with the b/y wire connector disconnected at the CDI. I had to plug it back in to turn the engine off. That's a PITA!

Why can't this be an easy fix?????
Jackie (bowing to the ATV God)

Quick Reply: 1988 Suzuki LT-4WD No Spark!!!!!