Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenm
Is it Wednesday yet???

me think it friday

Old 11-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Range Rover

Yes Guys...... Wednesday came and went, and yes, it is Friday! LMAO!

The coil didn't come in Wednesday. I was told it wasn't available and would have to be reordered through another company. Long story short..... I got it and put it on today. NO improvement!!!! UGH! I was ripped off again. I questioned this guy about how he tested the coil, and it couldn't be that bad since I had just had the bike running less than an hour before he blew it up! GRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

So, here I am back at square one. Now I am wondering if the spark plug boot is any good. Ken, can you ohm yours out so we can compare?

I have been using the Micronta analog tester and have been testing a few things that I had tested previously with the digital meter. I checked the power source aka exciter windings in the magneto to see how many volts. I am getting 12.5 @ ACV 50 scale. With another gentlemans help I was advised to use the 50u scale on the meter to see if the pulser aka pickup was pulsing, and it was. So....... The magneto/stator/generator , whatever you want to call it is doing what it is supposed to. We have established previously that the wiring from Stator to CDI is good, so where is the problem? CDI? The power is going in, but is it coming out? How do I check?

Any ideas?
Jackie (who is really needing that ATV!!!!!)

Old 11-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by AdirondackGal
Yes Guys...... Wednesday came and went, and yes, it is Friday! LMAO!

The coil didn't come in Wednesday. I was told it wasn't available and would have to be reordered through another company. Long story short..... I got it and put it on today. NO improvement!!!! UGH! I was ripped off again. I questioned this guy about how he tested the coil, and it couldn't be that bad since I had just had the bike running less than an hour before he blew it up! GRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

So, here I am back at square one. Now I am wondering if the spark plug boot is any good. Ken, can you ohm yours out so we can compare?

* I would, but my 1983 Micronta DVM has died.

I have been using the Micronta analog tester and have been testing a few things that I had tested previously with the digital meter. I checked the power source aka exciter windings in the magneto to see how many volts. I am getting 12.5 @ ACV 50 scale. With another gentlemans help I was advised to use the 50u scale on the meter to see if the pulser aka pickup was pulsing, and it was. So....... The magneto/stator/generator , whatever you want to call it is doing what it is supposed to. We have established previously that the wiring from Stator to CDI is good, so where is the problem? CDI? The power is going in, but is it coming out? How do I check?

*Well, the CDI output to the coil is white/blue wire. You could monitor at one side of the CDI connector (do not unplug). But, it will be a pulse, and we don't know how much voltage it's supposed to be.

*What's 50 u? 50 micro volts?

Any ideas?
Jackie (who is really needing that ATV!!!!!)
10 char

Old 11-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Range Rover

uA is "pico Amps" the most sensitive setting on the meter.

When I used this setting, I could clearly "See" the twitching of the needle as the pulser sent it's signal. (This only works well with an analog meter)

Are we learing anything here? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Thanks!
Jackie

Old 11-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Range Rover

uA is "pico Amps" the most sensitive setting on the meter.

When I used this setting, I could clearly "See" the twitching of the needle as the pulser sent it's signal. (This only works well with an analog meter)

Are we learing anything here? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

*Yes we are.

1. Pico amps or volts is 1 Trillionth of a volt or amp. In other words nothing.

2. In order to measure amps your meter must be is series with the circuit being measured. Not in parallel as I'm sure you were.

Why are you using the analog meter when you have a new digital meter????

Thanks!
Jackie
10 char

Old 11-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Range Rover

3. uA= micro amp (10-6) not pico amp (10-12)

Old 11-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Range Rover

3. uA= micro amp (10-6) not pico amp (10-12)
Yeah... that's what I meant! LOL! (what is the 10-6 and 10-12???)

Old 11-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Range Rover

Yeah... that's what I meant! LOL! (what is the 10-6 and 10-12???)
10-6 = 10 exp-6= .000001

I would use your new DVM to remeasure the voltage from your pick up coil and your magneto inputs to your CDI.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Range Rover

10-6 = 10 exp-6= .000001

I would use your new DVM to remeasure the voltage from your pick up coil and your magneto inputs to your CDI.
I did this a few days ago and got:
pulser/pickup; bouncing all around .19 @ VAC20 scale
exciter/power source; 48.5 @ VAC200

Interesting point:
Testing the spark plug cap, I get OL on the digital meter with the setting @ the 20k scale. But, if I use the analog set at the RX10k the cap registers approximately 50 but goes up in resistance as it warms up. In fact, I put the cap on the top of the woodstove and then tested it. I got around 500 ohms right off the stove, almost too hot to hold, and it just kept dropping in resistance as it cooled off. This, plus the fact that the dealer blew the other coil up, make me suspicious. Was he putting in current that couldn't get out through the cap and it had to go somewhere, so it blew through the side of the coil itself?

Whatcha think?
Jackie

Quick Reply: 1988 Suzuki LT-4WD No Spark!!!!!