Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

suzuki 400 king quad for work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default suzuki 400 king quad for work?

Yes, all Eigers (KQ400's) have a high and low range for both auto and 5-speed trannys. Also, the Honda Rancher does not have any form of dif lock - what it does have is a type of limited slip front dif that puts power to the wheel with the most traction. It does work well but it does not lock both front wheels for drive like a real dif locker.

Jaybee

Old 01-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is concidred a "real" diff lock..... since it activates BOTH front tires. it is the same type of locker used in Land Rovers. it sends 70% power to the nonspinning wheel, and 30% power to the spinning wheel(so when it gets traction you will move). this is a more posative setup than a manual locking diff, which sends 50/50 power to both front wheels reguardless of traction. (paraphrased from reconranger)

sorry, i did not think the foot shift eigers still came with a sub-range tranny, thats y i said i dont think so....

Old 01-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

since this has turned into eiger 400 vs rancher 420 there both great quads priced the same, the honda might be slightly higher. i think the eiger has a softer more comftable ride, propably from the dual rear shock sytem they use vs hondas single rear shock. power is slightly higher on the 420 rancher not much. i think 25 inch radial tire upgrade on the rancher is a must, you get alot better ride less bump in the steer at higher speed. i like the fuel injection in the rancher vs the carbed eiger 400 suzuki can be a cold blooded sometimes drives me crazy getting it warmed up, the rancher might have a higher top end power, im not one to try and peg them out to 50 plus miles an hour to find out. personaly i like the body style of the rancher better but the new 2008 kingquad looks good as well. i dont know which i like better lol . propably why i own one of each. flip a coin either way the coin lands youll be a winner.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

As an Eiger owner I will say that the Rancher 420 is a better deal than the Eiger / KQ400. The price is almost the same but the Rancher is just a little bit better all around. Add in EFI for the Honda and it makes it a no brainer.

Jaybee

Old 01-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

As an Eiger owner I will say that the Rancher 420 is a better deal than the Eiger / KQ400. The price is almost the same but the Rancher is just a little bit better all around. Add in EFI for the Honda and it makes it a no brainer.

Jaybee

Old 01-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Range Rover

Response to cherokee99-Actually, Hondas dont have a diff lock. When locked if the right wheel makes a complete revolution the left wheel will as well. It locks so one wheel cant turn more then the other. But hondas dont have a diff lock at all, they have a limited slip front differential which is the exact same as the kingquad 400's 4wd system. I dont know where you got the information saying that hondas have a diff lock but not one model from them has a diff lock. The torque sensing four wheel drive systems that you are thinking of are can ams visco lock which automatically locks the front differential, and polaris's is almost exactly the same thing.Im not trying to be hard on you just a fair amount of your information is incorrect. Another correction, eigers both automatic and semi-automatic have a low range giving 10 different gears for the semi-automatic in total. When you got your 01 forman 450 you got fooled big time lol. Oh yeah and its spelt efficiently and spelt engages. I see your spelling teachers fooled you as well. Anyways, im 15 and even i know some of this stuff you dont. Have fun riding tho!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

hate to be a bother and keep adding my $0.02, but BOTH mechines are exelent IMO! i would own ether based on which was the better deal i could find. suzuki has hard earned reputation with its eigers and i dont see too much stopping there sales anytime soon.

just make sure you are happy with what ever ATV you are purchaseing, afterall it is your investment.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

When I purchased my 08KQ400 last November, there were significant dealer incentives from Suzuki--free Warn winch or free Warn snow plow or $$ reduction in price.
Other than financing, Honda had no incentives going. So, although the two quads are priced very close, the Suzuki KQ400 won out (for me, at least) based on proven reliability, instrument panel (speedometer & odometer) easy service, and much lower $$.
Of course, that was almost two months ago, and Honda may have some deals going now. Be sure to ask--some dealers are unscrupulous, and figure if they can get you to sign without letting you have the incentives, the bigger the profit they'll make.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>first gear is so low that an even lower, sub-range, wouldnt be needed</end quote></div>

The 420 has no low range so if you tow your big heavy ice house it will be at 5 mph ,not always what you want, some times 2nd and 3rd while still in low range is what you want. A belt drive in low will have the hard pulling low effect up to 20 mph be for it over revs and need high range.

The 400 KQ has a foot shift modle yet still has a low range with 5 gears not just a super low 1st gear cop out.

My 1989 foot shift 350 Big Bear also had a low range sub-tranny,but Yamaha,s newer Big Bears just do the super low 1st gear thing also for cost reduction,I guess.

400 KQ Manual has 10 gears to chose from 5 for low and 5 for high.

The 420 has only 5 gears to chose from and only 1 gear (1st) is concidered low.
Which one do you thing was made with work in mined?

Old 01-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

i havent noticed either machine able too out pull one another, i pulled a thousand pound gun safe up a side hill when i moved, with my 420 rancher ,slapped her in 4wd ,pulled it right up, the 420 or the eiger will pull the ice house, relatively the same.

Quick Reply: suzuki 400 king quad for work?