Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

02 Eiger spark intermittment

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Eiger spark intermittment

I have had problems with this running for 1 1/2 years. I have not been able to get it started since getting cold. Since it warmed up today I got it start after playing with it for 1 hour. I was planning to check valve clearnesses and timing. (plenty of fuel) After taking off the plastices, gas tank. I decided to check spark. I have done this before but usually just a quick check and find spark. But today I keep it cranking and found it sparking but very intermittment. I would spark 1 to 3 times in a row and then nothing for several piston cycles. There was no pattern to the spark. I have a 05 Eiger also and checked it, to compare, and it had continues spark (it runs good and have not had any problems with it).
I know I can swap out several parts to see if I can find a bad part but where is a good place to start? Yes, I have a manual. I have a hunch that it is the generator. I do not have the special tester to check it. Does anyone have another way to check the generator, ignition side.

Has anyone had a problem like this? If so what did you find wrong?

Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer

I have an artic cat 400 and had a similar problem but mine occurred over a 2 week period. It was very hard to start all of a sudden. It would turn over and start and immediately shut off. When I checked the spark, I had an intermittent spark just as yours is. Mine quit sparking all together. I was told that Artic Cat 400s had a flywheel problem where the magnets were coming loose. I pulled the case off and that was the problem with mine. I answered your mail because they are both Suzuki engines. Let me know what you find.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Range Rover

UPDATE:
swapped out Ign. coil- no help
swapped out C.D.I- no help
swapped out Ign/starter relay- no help
checked all wiring, OHM, for shorts or grounds-- all good.
Checked OHM's on Pickup coil resistance--good
Checked OHM's on power source coil resistance-- good

TO check Pickup coil and power source coil peak voltage it calls for a 'Peak volt adaptor' I tryed to check without it and the Pickup coil was not within limits.(but it was that way on the good 2005 Eiger also).
Has anyone heard of a Peak volt adaptor? Can get one or should I call around to the suzuki dealers and see if they can test it.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

you might want to check the flywheel as he said I have had the magnets come loose also would.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

I run all the same tests as you run. If the magnets are looses on the flywheel, your magneto, stator, and trigger coil will check ok on the OHMS test. I wish I had an easy way for you to check the flywheel, but there isn't. Maybe one idea, Mine had the pieces if epoxy(small chunks) in the oil screen where you drain your oil from the engine. You could check this by removing the four bolt around the drain plug and dropping the small pan. The screen is held in by 2 phillips screws. If you decide to take the case apart, drain your oil, drop your foot rest, remove all the bolts around the case and wedge apart. There are two round metal sleeve inserted in the case which act as guides and sometimes can make the job a little difficult, but usually not that bad. Make sure as they stated above, you use the correct wheel puller to remove the flywheel as you will most certainly bend the shaft with anything else. Good Luck.
PS I am 80% certain this is your problem. Let me know and save your magnets. I could use a couple.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer

I would change to a hotter plug..

Old 01-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Range Rover

I'm ready running the hotter Plug!. This is might be the only reason it has been running as long as it has.

I have not had time to do other trouble shooting. But did call a dealer and talked to service dept. They did seem to know what I was talking about and did say they have seen one Eiger that magnets came loose. But also stated that the flywheel may of come loose, nut backed off. He stated that the loose nut is more common and said that some service manuals have you check the Torque of the nut from time to time. He said they can do the check and can also check the Nut on fly wheel if needed easy. He said they would not need to pull of side cover to check the Nut just a access cover on side of case. I'm going to look for this access and may try to uncrew it myself or maybe even remove case. This will not happen for a couple days. Or I may just take it to dealer at the end of week to have them done the test.

I'll let you know what I find, or not find!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Range Rover

I checked for peices in 'oil pan'. There was some. F.Y.I. you do not need to remove screen because oil is sucked up through screen. I also looking at nut on flywheel from starter rotor. Nut tight on flywheel.
Removed Lh side of case. ALL 6 magnets came off with stator. There was no magnets attached to flywheel. I do not know how this was making any spark!

cragle did you replace your flywheel? The cheapest I could find was $280 for a new one. Did not find one on ebay!. Not sure about trying to reattach them due to balance and finding epoxy that would work!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

the magnets have a north and south direction they need to be placed in or won't work the new stator has a one piece magnet design. Dewayne

Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Range Rover

Dewayne, I have not moved the magnets. They are sticking to the Stator. So are you saying I can reattach them to the flywheel? If so what epoxy do I use? and do I just space them evenly? New ones only have 1 magnet that goes all the way around?

Quick Reply: 02 Eiger spark intermittment