Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

NEEDEN SOME HELP PLEASE!

Old 03-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEEDEN SOME HELP PLEASE!

Some of you experts give me a reason why gas could be in my oil,94ltf-250,Drained oil a bit ago and not only was it overfull but smells like gas,moter seems to run fine,wife was usin it other day and it ran outta gas on her and she played with fuel switch,could that have caused it?

Old 03-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the float/needle & seat are stuck open allowing the carb to fill up and overflow into the cylinder, then gas seeps past the rings & into the crankcase.

I'd tear the carb apart ASAP & inspect why the float is sticking. I'm not familiar with this carb, but if it's a vaccum carb & she switched it to the "PRI" position it would flow gas all the time, versus the engine sucking gas from the tank.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am not an expert on a 94 ltf-250, but my first guess would be the fuel pump. If it uses crankcase vacuum pulses to pump fuel and the pump diaphram leaked, it would go straight into the crankcase.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with catman on this one, sounds like the carb has a problem, whats bad about running out of gas is it sucks up the dirt left in the tank, right into the carb,

Old 04-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer

if your carb needle isn't seating then fuel would just leak out your overflow. without engine vacuum the gas will not go through the venturi. i'd say check your fuel pump, that sounds more logical to me. also your rings should not let fuel past them even if fuel did leak in, and if they do they're bad. run a wet and dry compression test and that can tell you if your rings are bad but usually oil gets in combustion chamber if rings are bad or you lose compression so i'd rule that out also. look into the fuel pump, that makes the most sense. i don't know that bike all that well but i do know enough about machanics to know that the carb needs vacuum to draw fuel into the motor, that's basics, and i also know that fuel shouldn't leak past your rings if they're good. i dunno what the CAT man is talking about, all carburetors use vaccum and a venturi or they'd be some form of fuel injection. some do have an accelerator pump but still needs engine vacuum to get fuel to cylynder. what do you mean by vacuum carb and "PRI" position?? i'm not underminding or saying anyone is wrong just giving my opinion on the problem, if anyone has any info for me that goes against what i said please share with me.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

Just an update on fuel problem,I changed oil, filter,did not drain carb as i cant figgure out what kinda head on drain screw[old eyes mostly that problem].Left it set for 2 days at the low level mark on the site glass and as of today it,s still on the mark.
Ibelieve my wife had fuel selecter on pri whatever that is and i understand that will let gas pass thru to the oil.DO YOU FOLKS THINK THATS IT OR DO I STILL NEED TO HAVE DEALER DO CARB JOB?And what about small amount of gas still in carb at the bowl,do i need to worry bout it?Thanks to any answers in advance.Paul

Old 04-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing to do with the topic but I noticed your from Barnesville. My step-family is from there, their last name is Bottoms. Small world.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

Sahzooke,would that be joey,judy ,jackie?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds familiar. My step brother's dad is from there his name is Jimmy, I think Joey is his brother. I know I have heard the names Joey and Jackie mentioned in conversation before.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Trailblazer

PRI is the prime position. i actually should've known what he was refering to but was lost with the whole vacuum carb thing. just didn't all register. by vacuum carb he's actually meaning a vacuum diaphragm that when open is like a fuel pump in a sense by causing a vacuum that draws the fuel. some carbs have them on the carb itself so i'm guessing that's what he means by vacuum carb. when in the prime position it will allow fuel to bypass the diaphragm and flow freely into the carb but all that's gonna happen there is it's gonna fill up and it will come out the overflow on the carb. i really don't think your problem is in the carb. you should be able to fill your cylynder with fuel without any getting into your oil!! does it smoke at all? i'd say it's gonna be something with the valves or somewhere around them if the bike seems to run good. usually it's oil getting places it don't belong not fuel. i'm not a pro but i've been riding and maintaning dirt bikes and four wheelers for years. it's always a good idea to really know your bike inside and out, it saves you a lot of money. anyways i hope i am helping. oh and did you look at your vacuum diaphragm, i think that is a great theory!! more input on this would still be great though because i always like a second opinion no matter how sure i am and also like to know when i'm wrong so it doesn't happen twice.

Search this Thread