Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Ltz 400 will only push start

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ltz 400 will only push start

i agree with what mucky said
i had a similar experience last spring , quad sat for 3 months waiting for spring , did not want
to start, gave it a shot of go go juice , took right of. i imagine I'll have to do the same thing this spring.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer

thats what i had misadjusted valves. the only time i could start it is when i drift started it. after i adjusted my valves it started easy and had double the power. No exagertion!

Old 02-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

Valve adjustment would be what I'd check first as well. It's so much more important than people think. And, it's pretty easy to check, compared to electrical problems....

Electrical problems? But I have spark.

Yeah, but if you've ever followed someone on the road and when they put on their brakes, their tail lights change, or when they turn on their turn signal, the opposite brake light dims, you've seen a grounding problem first-hand. You might be getting spark, but not at the right time. It's only slightly possible that the load from your starter is causing your ignition module to partially fault, or your spark could be too weak. Obviously, there's no starter load when you push start it, so the ignition is fine.

There's my 'alternate idea' in case none of the other, more legitimate, ideas pan out.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Valves? do you mean to tell me the valves will go out of ajustment if you dont run the quad for two months ?
i think mucky has a better handle on this one. the carb had no gas in it. no gas no start

Old 02-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cataway
Valves? do you mean to tell me the valves will go out of ajustment if you dont run the quad for two months ?
i think mucky has a better handle on this one. the carb had no gas in it. no gas no start
Nope the valves dont change the clearance by just sitting there, but they slowly loose their clearance over time. During the summer warm months, compression loss is more tolerable than when the weather gets cold, and you need all the compression a motor can deliver. The valves probably tightened up over the last few rides, and now that its much colder, the compression loss is too much, for starting.This is a very common issue on this motor, and the intake clearance should be the first thing to check.
It wouldnt be a no gas situation..or it wouldnt start by bump starting either.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

mucky
now i under stand your avatar.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

thats me most of the time, pounding my head on the keyboard, the problem to me still sounds like a carb problem, plugged jet?
now Im having problems with mine not running right, carb needs to be removed and have it cleaned and rebuilt, it sat for 2 months and now it runs like crap from the old gas, went to glamis for a 1 day turn around and all it wanted to do was spit and sputter and cutting out on me so I feel you pain when it comes to not running right

Old 02-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

wow, I remember him saying "if i push start it it fires right up with no problem and runs good " but that's just me.

hard to do that with a carb problem, huh?

Old 01-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ltz400 electric start problem

So I have a Suzuki ltz400 that won't turn over at all when I hit the start button it won't even make noise when turning it over. But if I bump start it. it turns on right away and when you run it for 10 minutes and try to start it with the button it still doesn't want to start what's wrong with it please help

Old 05-28-2018, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by hondabuster
Let me check for understanding.... it will crank over, and it does have spark, and itll only fire up by bump starting?
If thats the case, check the intake valve clearance, and do a compression check. My guess is the intake valve has tightened up, and now with no clearance, its being held off the seat and is dropping the compression. Very common on this motor, especially if its been over heated, by being run lean. On some of them the valve warp so bad, they need to be replaced.
So do a compression check, and if its low, adjust the intake valve back to specs, and recheck the compression.
I have a 2004 Ltz 400 and had same issue and it was the compression due to the valves needing adjustments. Went riding yesterday and back to square one. Won’t electric start but push starts right up... what should be my next move??

Quick Reply: Ltz 400 will only push start