Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Randy,
I am so dang proud, I could ****!!! Just got home from taking my kid to karate.. I walk thru the door, and my cell rings. Mr. Kovar (kovars.com) himself is taping some self defence classes tomorrow, and would love it if my 9 year old daughter would participate........ WOW!!! She is the only kid under 12yr old picked!! BIG FREAKIN GRINS!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even push her into martial arts!!! PROUD PAPA!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to all my fellow qs owners.

Bought an 87 230S about 3 months ago for $500, it was pretty rough, but it ran, and I wanted a quad, so I bought it (my first quad, and I'm 27).

Since then I painted it sapphire metallic blue, fixed all the little kinks it had, including the side cover as everyone mentions, and I'd just like to say that the side cover went to $250 as of january from the $100 old price. Not only did the chain destroy my case, but it destroyed the bolt threads that holds the cover on. Of course that was before I bought it, but I got stuck dealing w/ the problem! Anyway, I ordered the chain guard, but honestly it's junk. I ended up making one out of a thick sheet of aluminum, and I tested it, since my chain came off every 12 seconds or so! It worked fine, but I am in the process of making an even stronger one just to be sure! I will post pics when it's done.

So I fixed all the problems (kinda), the chain problem is fixed anyway. Have to tap and dye one of the lower bolt threads on the cover so it doesn't drip oil very slowly! I need to get my rear brake working. My bike won't stay at idle. My lights are still on the to do list. And i think i need bushings in the front, what exactly does the quad do when they're bad, theres some play on one side but not the other.

I'll get some pics up when I can, I'm tired and going to bed, read some more of this long thread tom.

-John

Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Randy,

I am so dang proud, I could ****!!! Just got home from taking my kid to karate.. I walk thru the door, and my cell rings. Mr. Kovar (kovars.com) himself is taping some self defence classes tomorrow, and would love it if my 9 year old daughter would participate........ WOW!!! She is the only kid under 12yr old picked!! BIG FREAKIN GRINS!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even push her into martial arts!!! PROUD PAPA!!!!!!!</end quote></div>

That's awesome! I'm proud of both of you and will be braggin about you guys next opportunity I get!

I bet she sticks with it now for sure!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

MINE is all show, NO FRIGGEN GO!!!![img][/img]</end quote></div>

Right now.... Mines neither show nor go. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Ya finally made it to the correct place!! Grats!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'll be your comic relief, Randy and BigMc will be your tech guys... Try the veal its excellent!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Serious, I am a mechanical tard. but this thread and these guys have made this bike fun to screw up, um, I mean mess with![img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img] A better group of individuals you woould be hard pressed to associate with, myself excluded of course![img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: defconatv

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to all my fellow qs owners. </end quote></div>

Hi John! Glad to see you over here. There's some great fellows over here, and, as it turns out we have a LOT more in common than just our 230's.

Bought an 87 230S about 3 months ago for $500, it was pretty rough, but it ran, and I wanted a quad, so I bought it (my first quad, and I'm 27). </end quote></div>

Sounds like a good deal! I gave $200 for mine and had to sink another $250 before I could even ride it.

Since then I painted it sapphire metallic blue, fixed all the little kinks it had, including the side cover as everyone mentions, and I'd just like to say that the side cover went to $250 as of january from the $100 old price. Not only did the chain destroy my case, but it destroyed the bolt threads that holds the cover on. Of course that was before I bought it, but I got stuck dealing w/ the problem! Anyway, I ordered the chain guard, but honestly it's junk. I ended up making one out of a thick sheet of aluminum, and I tested it, since my chain came off every 12 seconds or so! It worked fine, but I am in the process of making an even stronger one just to be sure! I will post pics when it's done. </end quote></div>

That blue looks awesome! (I'm partial to blue anyway, so that may be biased, lol).

Around here we call it CCOS (chain came off syndrome). It usually gets everybody at one point or another. Bad chain and bad swingarm bearings are to blame. You need a chain tensioner to solve the problem. Plus a new chain and s-arm bearings.

I made a chain guard like you're talking about from 3/16 steel. I wacked it a few times with the chain the last time I rode (hard ride it was that day!). It still looks about like it did when I made it.... Well, maybe a little bend here n there, but nothing a hammer won't fix.

So I fixed all the problems (kinda), the chain problem is fixed anyway. Have to tap and dye one of the lower bolt threads on the cover so it doesn't drip oil very slowly! I need to get my rear brake working. My bike won't stay at idle. My lights are still on the to do list. And i think i need bushings in the front, what exactly does the quad do when they're bad, theres some play on one side but not the other. </end quote></div>

I don't know what it is about these quads and rear brakes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] It seems about half of them are missing. Mine didn't come with one either.

The idling problem is another plague that seems to thrive on 230s. We'll get to the bottom of that one after our naps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

You probably need new a-arm bushings. Possibly a ball joint or wheel bearing. Not sure....

I'll get some pics up when I can, I'm tired and going to bed, read some more of this long thread tom. </end quote></div>

Me too. [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2008, 12:00 AM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WELCOME defconatv (can I call you def?) always proud to see a new 230 owner wanting to bring there old ride back to life. It sounds like you have THE list of more common issues with the Q.S.
Striped this, cracked that, leaking "something" and just wont idle/run right. I guess that would make a good quote. I dunno.
I have noticed how the stator cover has gone up in price here latley. Makes me wish id bought 2 of them at 100.00 each[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Welcome...........................DEF

Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BigMc

WELCOME defconatv (can I call you def?) always proud to see a new 230 owner wanting to bring there old ride back to life. It sounds like you have THE list of more common issues with the Q.S.

Striped this, cracked that, leaking "something" and just wont idle/run right. I guess that would make a good quote. I dunno.

I have noticed how the stator cover has gone up in price here latley. Makes me wish id bought 2 of them at 100.00 each[img][/img]

Welcome...........................DEF</end quote></div>

Ditto!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 AM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PG. You aint right man. Sometimes I just cant wait to see whats managed to pry itself from your brain? and find its way to your keyboard. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
If I didnt know better id have to say that sounds like frustration[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] in your voice, err fingers ahh type? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Good Night.[img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

keep-em-alive

BigMc

MINE is all show, NO FRIGGEN GO!!!![IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

Old 02-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BigMc

You aint right man. Sometimes I just cant wait to see whats managed to pry itself from your brain? and find its way to your keyboard. [img][/img]

If I didnt know better id have to say that sounds like frustration[img][/img] in your voice, err fingers ahh type? [img][/img]

Good Night.[img][/img]

keep-em-alive

BigMc

MINE is all show, NO FRIGGEN GO!!!![IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div></end quote></div>

Ya, I crack myself up! If ya can't make fun of yourself, ya can't make fun of everyone else!! Bwhahaha! I am done as well...[img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

BTW... I am SOOOO right, I am wrong!! Narcolepsey time!

PEACE! in the middle east, on second thought, let em blow each other to hell..

G'nite[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.