Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 Valve Adjustments...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 Valve Adjustments...

Well, I did everything else today, might as well go for some vavle adjustments too while I'm at it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Is there a how-to online anyone knows of? I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing, so I may not try it at all, but I did want to read up on exactly how its done. I know the users manual doesnt say jack about it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Range Rover

No need since they are shim under bucket design... check em, and if they are out of spec (shouldn't be) then you need to get new shims from the dealer. Not always easy, and probably never in stock. Otheriwse, why crack the engine open unless you have to.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Because it still runs like CRAP.

Today I changed the oil, changed the oil filter, changed the air filter and cleaned out the air box and all that. Still isnt running like it was a year ago after I brought it in for that 1st "break in" service.. the one you're supposed to bring it in after the 1st 10 hours.

Old 10-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Range Rover

If it ran like crap ever since the 1st service, why didn't you bring it back to have them fix it?

Have you done any mods? Pipe? New filter? Mod airbox? Remove the snorkle cover or airbox lid? Jet kit? Help us help you.

Old 10-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

No mods.

It didnt run like crap after I brought it in for the 1st service... it ran mint - thats when it was running the best it's ever ran. I was hoping everything I did yesterday would get it running again like it was after that 1st service, but no... still running the same. I guess I forgot to meantion, that 1st service was 1 year ago, hadnt done anything to it since then till yesterday.

Old 10-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Range Rover

Well then WHEN did you notice it started to run like crap? Are you sure you're not just getting used to it? I know when my Z was new I thought it was the bomb.. then got used to it and started modding. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Also, if you explained how it's not running right, that may lend clues to any possible issues. But I can almost bet that the valves are not the problem.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

It just runs crappy. For instance, in first gear, just putting around going nice and slow it stalls out... not a lot, but it does. And I went out the day before yesterday, my cousin got stuck in some mud, I hopped off mine and left it running to go help pull him out, and it stalled on its own just sitting there idling for maybe 5 minutes at the most.

When I first got it the thing ran real nice. Then I brought it in after the 1st 10 hours for that first service, I brought it home from that service and it felt like a whole new quad, I couldnt believe it. It's like the whole thing just woke up... The front wheels were coming off the ground in 1st threw 3rd without even purposly trying to make it do that... now it just feels slow and old [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it in to a differant dealership for a tune up wich includes valve adjustments and then see how it runs. When you brought it in for the first tune up they could of adjusted your valves a little off. which gives crappy performance.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

I dont understand why you guys keep thinking it was a bad 1st service or something... Like I said - the thing ran SWEET after that first service, it seems like its just time for one agian, and like I said - yesterday I did everything the dealer does minus the vavle adjustments, thats like the only thing left to do, so that must be it. Unless the carb needs to be cleaned or something... I donno, that or maybe I just beat the hell outta it too much heh.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Range Rover

Did you overoil the air filter? This is very easy to do.

Take your plug out and look at it.. describe the base ring, the porcelain, etc.. post pics if possible.

Quick Reply: Z400 Valve Adjustments...