Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Chain pitch help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain pitch help!

How do you find the pitch of a chain ! I bought a new rear sprocket 2 teeth smaller and that made my chain too loose but if I remove a link that makes the chain too tight. So I need a half link but they need to know the pitch of my chain and I don't know it. Or do I have any other options or ways of making it fit I didn't realise what a differance 1 link made!

Old 08-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Its most likely a 50 series chain, and heres a link to measureing the width,chain
Are you sure youre getting full travel in adjusting the chain. Sometimes, because of rust and dirt, the adjustment gets tight before the full travel has been made. Make sure youre getting full movement between max and min. Its possible that the chain might have been ok as it was, before removing the links. Two teeth on a back sproket isnt that much of a difference in chain length.

Old 08-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

With all the links in the chain and the tensioner all the way tight the chain is still too loose but with a link out and the tensioner all the way loose the chain is still too tight. I don't know what to do and I'm getting pissed!

Old 08-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

How did you take a link out because I need to do the same thing?

Old 08-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: SickRider
How did you take a link out because I need to do the same thing?
get a pro design chain breaker for like $20 at rockymountainatv.

Trevor,,,something isnt adding up.

check what hondabuster said,,,,be sure you are getting full range of motion out of your adjuster.

you shouldnt need a half-link imo

Old 08-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

I replaced The rearings not too long ago so the carrier isn't gummed up it seems to move quite freely. can someone point me in the right direction as to where I could find diagrams that would help with my problem?

Old 08-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

I can't find a half link for a chain for the 300 EX anywhere. So now I don't know what to do!

Old 08-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Heres the stock set up. 13 teeth front sproket. 38 teeth back sproket. stock chain is a 520 by 86 links.
Unless you were already at the limit of travel when you took it off...going two teeth smaller on back should work with the stock chain.
Are the sprokets worn out? Do an actual count of the teeth on the new sproket to confirm its 36, and count the links on the chain.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a new front and rear 13t front and 36t rear and if I remember correctly there was still room to tighten my chain up more with my old setup but I don't know if the chain is stock or not because I bought the bike used What diff would it make how many links were on the chain? Help wanted!!!

Old 08-17-2004, 03:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Counting the links will tell you how long it is. If you bought it used... the last guy could have strecthed it out, then removed two links to shorten it up. Just count the links on one side of the rollers. There should be 86 on a stock size chain. You have already removed two...so the count should be 84 now. The chain has to be trimmed in units of two, because of the male /female type of realationship.

Quick Reply: Chain pitch help!