Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Worst ATV Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst ATV Experiences

Thought it would be interesting to hear everyones worst ATV experience. Heres mine
I have a story about when I was 14, and it was definately my worst ATV experience.
I was riding my slightly modified 2001 Blaster following a Banshee with about I don't know 100 horsepower.
Well we were just riding in the dunes and all of a sudden my friend on the Banshee sped up really fast, and so
I followed him without thinking. He was heading to large lake with a very steep hill all around it.
I slowed down to a stop and watched him as he rode all half way around the lake and finally rode out.
Well it looked like fun and from a distance the hill didn't look to steep. So I sped up as fast as I could (about 50mph)
and started going around the lake. But my bike started to lose traction and the hill was so steep I couldn't get out
the top. Next thing you know I'm swimming holding on to my blaster trying to keep it from sinking. I would have drowned
before letting go of it. Luckily some people came and pulled me and my bike back to dry sand. Thats the end of my story. I was fine and my bike was running the next day

1992 BANSHEE
Loads of extras

Old 08-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

my left foot got caught underneith my 3-wheeler while playing around, didnt break it but i didnt get up for a while and i was all cut up

Old 08-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I usually lock and chain my quad in the back of the truck, in case of a breakdown , itd be tough to steal. Well that backfired on me. I went on a trip,400 miles one way, got my stuff unloaded, and went to undo the lock, and forgot to bring the key.
Luckily, I found someone with a hacksaw blade, but no frame. So I had to use a vice grips to hold the blade. It took awhile to saw thru one link, and I had to make two cuts, because it was so strong, I couldnt just cut one side and twist it off. I ended up tired and sore, before even riding. And I lost about 3 hours or ride time.
Its hell getting old. I dont have the energy or memory I used to have.

Old 08-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

OMG! LOL!.......That ^ would suck! I almost forgot the key to my quad once................once!

Old 08-17-2004, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

my shift forks went to hell at the beggining of this summer, i havent got to ride a single hour, i have to take apart everything just to get to the shift forks to replace them, even when i do get to them i am dead broke and have no money for new1s or money for a manual to help me out. after i save my money put many hours into fixing it it will be winter and i will have to sell it to buy a car. i get depressed everytime i think about it and i cant even bring myself to attempting the fix in my tiny shed thats shared with bikes, lawnmowers,and tools. why does this sport have to be such a pain in my ****.

just had to vent

Old 08-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

on an old P.O.S. quad going backwards down a hill.... stabbed the back brakes on accident... enough said

Old 08-17-2004, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

i got a '00 400ex used from a mechanic at a local shop. i had my 300EX for 4 months, and was ready for somethin bigger, plus my mom wanted another quad so our whole family could ride together. the quad looked bad, but i didn't care, it seemed to run fine. 1 week later the steering stem bearings broke. got it fixed, 2 weeks later i'm racing up comp hill and i hear a clunk, the quad stalls, i start it back up and it seems to be runnin fine. i made it to drags when i realized that my axle bearing seized and i wrecked my bearing carrier, and my axle from having to ride it back to camp. got it fixed, and 3 weeks later i took it out and blew out the rear shock. put it up for sale that weekend, got a loan, and bought a 450r on the way home. worst experience has brought me many great ones with my 450, and i learned a lot about buying used, and repairing a 400ex.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:42 AM
Trailblazer

Okay, dirtbikes though.

When I was about 13, a friend and I were riding our KX80s after school through the small town I grew up in, riding on the shoulder of the paved roads. We stopped and picked up a couple friends who wanted a lift to the school to play basketball. One guy got on the back of my bike and the other guy got on the back of my buddy's bike, these guys weren't wearing helmets. I followed on the shoulder behind my friend and his passenger, he sped up and rounded a corner with a 4 way intersection on the other side. A few seconds later when me and my passenger came around the corner I saw a big ol' olds or something coasting to a stop dragging a KX80 that was lodged in the rear fender.
My buddy, the driver, was about 20 ft from the impact point screaming in pain on the pavement holding his rt knee. The passenger, who did not have a helmet was about 10 ft farther and was lying still, completly silent. I dumped my bike in the dirt and ran to the passenger- he was lying face up, head in a pool of blood, unconscious, WITH HIS EYES OPEN!. He was not wearing a helmet and appeared to have cracked his head on the pavement he landed on. I knew the other guy was gonna live because he was wearing his helmet and was screaming about his leg. I ran to a friends house that lived near by and called 911. Luckily there was fire station near by, so there were ambulances etc. there in no time. They were both airlifted to the nearest hospital.

The driver damaged the "growth plate" just under his knee pretty bad, but he was gonna be okay. The other guy lived, he fractured his skull, but is now fine.

No, we shouldn't have been riding on the pavement, but, the driver of the car ran the stop sign. She caused the collision. Both my friends got healthy settlements out of it in the end, at least enough to buy some nice cars when we all turned 16 a few years later.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

so no basketball, huh? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] but that does really suck... they're lucky they were ok

Old 08-18-2004, 12:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

I beat a 300ex to the bottom of a 20 foot cliff. I was still on the seat or the seay was still on me. Shattered my left Femor in, doctor's quotes " 8 big pieces of bone, I didn't count the little ones".

Moral to the story I sold the 300 for a 400ex. Fixed everything but the scars. I have some titanium screws to play with as a reminder.

Quick Reply: Worst ATV Experiences