Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Moose RM3, Polaris Glacier 1 or Polaris Glacier 2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moose RM3, Polaris Glacier 1 or Polaris Glacier 2?

BEFORE you buy the plow, check-out the Warn plows.

-11 Gauge

-look behind the blade at the solid welding.

-power angle avail! Nice feature imo.

They make a top-notch winch..........check-out their plows to!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Couple of pics of the Moose RM3 plow mount.

Name:  IMG_5551.jpg
Views: 3327
Size:  92.9 KB

Old 11-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: *5 J's*

Couple of pics of the Moose RM3 plow mount.
</end quote></div>

Thank you very much for taking and posting these pics 5 J's. Now, with these posted can anyone with a Polaris Glacier 2 mount compare this to the Polaris Glacier 2 mount? Is it pretty much the same? Is it beefier than the Polaris mount? I'm hoping you'll be able to help here mtpockets as I know you've mentioned that you've got a glacier 2 plow setup. Thanks so much to everyone for their help.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Range Rover

Here is the Glacier 2 Mount, I just got it a week ago and have not yet been able to use it, still waiting for the snow. Was fairly easy to install, only took a couple [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hi
I printed the above pics (*5 J's*) and it matches my Popo G2 plate to a T.

I wish I knew how to post a pic but let me try to explain how a local welder re-inforced mine. Weather it will do the trick remains to be seen because I haven't used it yet.

From where you see the 2 bolts and rearward it forms a tringle. Mine has the perimiter welded with solid square bars. Then it has 2 cross-bars running left-right.

This will hopefully prevent 2 things from happening- flex front-to-rear(from the 2 bolts in the front botom to the 1 bolt in the rear. And hopefully prevent flexing left-to-right in the same area.

I still think you should visit Warn's website to study the plow they offer or Moose Utilities's website and study the non-RM3 set-up.

Please keep in mind that I plow many properties in the winter. It's not a toy for me. It is as important for me to have a STRONG ATV as it is to have a SOLID plow. The Glacier2 was a problem child and a complete dissapointment last winter. I have elderly neighbor's driveways that I care for as well as my own family.

I plow heavy snow. That's all I can say.

As I wrote, I'm not sure that I can trust this G2 set-up this winter. I do think that I will buy (if I can afford it) the Warn set-up with power angle. If it's anything like their winches, I'm sure I will never consider another brand name.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mtpockets

Hi

I printed the above pics (*5 J's*) and it matches my Popo G2 plate to a T.

I wish I knew how to post a pic but let me try to explain how a local welder re-inforced mine. Weather it will do the trick remains to be seen because I haven't used it yet.

From where you see the 2 bolts and rearward it forms a tringle. Mine has the perimiter welded with solid square bars. Then it has 2 cross-bars running left-right.

This will hopefully prevent 2 things from happening- flex front-to-rear(from the 2 bolts in the front botom to the 1 bolt in the rear. And hopefully prevent flexing left-to-right in the same area.

I still think you should visit Warn's website to study the plow they offer or Moose Utilities's website and study the non-RM3 set-up.

Please keep in mind that I plow many properties in the winter. It's not a toy for me. It is as important for me to have a STRONG ATV as it is to have a SOLID plow. The Glacier2 was a problem child and a complete dissapointment last winter. I have elderly neighbor's driveways that I care for as well as my own family.

I plow heavy snow. That's all I can say.

As I wrote, I'm not sure that I can trust this G2 set-up this winter. I do think that I will buy (if I can afford it) the Warn set-up with power angle. If it's anything like their winches, I'm sure I will never consider another brand name.</end quote></div>

Thank you very much for your input. It is greatly appreciated, even if not the information that I was hoping to hear. I'm sure that Warn makes a great plow, and I've heard nothing but good things about the Moose non rapid mount setup too, but I really am wanting something that comes on and off quickly. Additionally, I would like to not lose any appreciable ground clearance with everything but the mounting plate off. The sticking point for me and the warn plows and Moose non rapid mount setup is that I really don't want to climb under the ATV to mount and unmount them and I would prefer not to leave the plow on all winter. For my use I will also need to transport the ATV between 2 locations. I have an extra short box crew cab GMC pickup for routine transport of the ATV and it requires that I back the ATV onto the truck since with a bruch guard on the front I'd likely bust out my rear window if I drove the ATV in forward. Since I'll be backing up a somewhat steep angle I need as much ground clearance as I can get if I want to keep the plow on during transport. I don't know that the non rapid mount systems offer enough ground clearance. And it would be far more hassle than it would be worth to continuously mount and dismount a standard plow setup. For the ground clearance in particular, I was holding very high hopes for the RM3 setup. However, one of the biggest things I want a plow on the ATV for is pushing the heavy wet stuff out of the driveway that the city plow dumps there as it clears the road. If the Glacier 2/ Moose setup isn't up to the task of heavy wet snow moving, then it looks like the glacier 1 may be the only choice for me. Also, it looks like the glacier 1 and 2 systems allow for a higher blade lift and the ability to stack snow higher because of it. The glacier 1 setup didn't overly impress me in the store, but I also wasn't able to raise and lower the blade to get a really good idea of how well it works. I guess I'll probably try the glacier 1 setup and hope it performs as well as many here indicate that their glacier 1's do. I do really, really appreciate the time that everyone here has taken to help me out with my decision, especially 5 J's, opie1har and mtpockets for taking pictures, comparing pictures and otherwise crawling around under their machines to help me make the right choice. You guys are great.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Glacier 1 raises a lot higher than my other plow did so I can stack more snow and do it easier. The old plow was almost impossible to back up onto my trailer with the plow on too. I raised the blade all the way and it still hit the ground when the back tires went up on the trailer and the front was still down on the ground. I thought I was going to get stuck loading it because of that. The mounting plate doesn't reduce your ground clearance and have things sticking out that can get bent. You can leave it on all the time.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

The Glacier 1 raises a lot higher than my other plow did so I can stack more snow and do it easier. The old plow was almost impossible to back up onto my trailer with the plow on too. I raised the blade all the way and it still hit the ground when the back tires went up on the trailer and the front was still down on the ground. I thought I was going to get stuck loading it because of that. The mounting plate doesn't reduce your ground clearance and have things sticking out that can get bent. You can leave it on all the time.</end quote></div>

Can you back your current ATV and plow setup onto your trailer now? Thanks

Old 11-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I really thought that I was finished posting here but here I go again! LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Lt Cheg, I don't think the G1 will raise the plow high enough to allow you to back-up into the bed of a truck. I also owned the G1 and I can tell you the G2 raises the plow MUCH higher!................and that's what you need in part for your application.

Taking into consideration the fact that you don't want to crawl under the ATV to hook-up the plow (and I couldn't agree more with you on that!) I think you only have 2 options left- the RM3 or G2!

Think of it this way, if your mounting plate bends to hell like mine did, your Dealer will warranty it for you ONCE! If that happens, PLEASE PM (Private Message) me with a mailing address and I will take photos of mine with the re-inforcement and mail 'em to you.

Also, if I can find this topic after this years plowing season ends I will post to let 'all know how things went for me.

I have a hunch that this welding will do the trick. It looks solid.

And DAMN is it it EASY to put this plow on/off!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

used plow

For $160 that's pretty cheap for a G2!

Quick Reply: Moose RM3, Polaris Glacier 1 or Polaris Glacier 2?