Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 Stuck in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 02:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500 Stuck in reverse

It got stuck in reverse while riding. I ended up breaking one of the shift rods. Any way to get it in neutral? Also, what is th best place to get a replacement rod? Any good parts areas around Pensacola, FL/ Mobile, AL?

Old 04-26-2003, 05:54 AM
Trailblazer

been there done that....the ONLY place to get a replacement rod is the dealer......why was it jamed in reverse?

Old 04-26-2003, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer

You gotta stop before changing from hi to lo or into reverse or you will stick it in gear. You have probably broken a shift tab, internal, off to your Polaris dealer and lots of bucks.

Old 04-26-2003, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

Better get a rear veiw mirror dude.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was stuck in some mud. I shifted from forward to reverse. After that, it wouldnt come out of reverse. I got winched out and drove back in reverse. Have a shifter rod on order.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 2001 Sportsman 500 got locked in reverse and I tried everything, took shifter case apart checked oil and made sure that the right side shifter spring had not fallen down below shifter ****, also checked shifter rods all where straight, well to make a long story short it ended up being a bad woren belt. Once it was replaced all was fine. Just thought I would post this no one with stuck gears have had to do this to resolve their problem. If your quad moves while at idle in gear then your belt is about gone.......

Old 05-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

try loseen the blots out of the rod then try to push the rod forward

Old 05-27-2003, 12:56 AM
Range Rover

I also was stuck in reverse the other day. I tried jamming it, wiggling it, pleading with it, well you get the idea. Nothing worked. Finally I took the plastic cover off to expose the shifter case. It appeared the low side was pulled in along with the reverse side. I took a screw driver and the low side popped right out. I was then able to shift like normal.

I have also noticed when the idle is too high it will not shift.

My $0.02

Old 05-27-2003, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer

I posted alot of problems w/my old Sp500 02. One of the problems my friend was having w/his was the same issue. He also broke to linkage rod, because it would not come out of REV. They replaced/adjusted the clutches and replaced the broke rode. He has not had this problem sence then. Just a note: He was also having a problem w/the bike popping out of gear before this happened. It would also die when you put the bike in gear. You would have to be on the gas as soon as you put the bike in gear for it to stay crancked. I found this site a while back. You can try ordering your part from here if you like.
partsland.com

If you are around Mobile, maybe we can catchup. We try to ride on the weekends around here.

Old 10-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I too have ran into this problem, and mine was just sitting on level ground started it up went to back up and it wouldnt go out of reverse...i inspected the situation by wiggeling and what not, and i ended up taking the shifting linkage off the case and adjusted it and put it back on. Because it appeared to be "binding" , and before i broke somethting i figure it would best to fix it at that time...

It was just wierd becuase i have had alot of machines and never ran into that...

has anyone found the real cause of this happening?

Quick Reply: Sportsman 500 Stuck in reverse