Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Polaris
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 04-20-2003, 04:38 PM
Range Rover
Garage is empty, add now

Default scrambler transmission fluid change

On a 2002 4x4 scrambler 400 2 stroke, is there an actual dipstick to check the oil level in the gearcase, if so where is it.Also where do you add oil to these machines, I looked all over the motor and could not find an obvious place to fill the transmission. I think I found where to drain the oil from but I'm not sure on that either, the universal polaris manual sucks for these machines. Can anybody please give me idiot proof directions on changing the transmission oil. Also if there is no dipstick how do I know when to stop adding oil.
Please help Thanx
Old 04-20-2003, 04:45 PM
Range Rover
Garage is empty, add now

I also changed the hub fluid oil yesterday. I drained the old oil out and then filled the hub with the proper fluid, then I turned the hub oil hole to about the 4 o clock position and let the excess run out, Was this the right procedure for doin this?
Thanx
Old 04-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to PolarisPower500

You are right on the hubs.
I have a 500 4x4, but the 400 could be different on the tranny. On mine, take off the right side plastic cover near the floor board (probably says concentric drive). There is a 9/16" bolt on the top of the propshaft housing.
The drain you can see from the left side of the machine, right behind the skid plate. Fairly large bolt, about 3/4".
Old 04-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Yeah, on the 2002 scrammys there isn't a dipstick for the tranny. You drain it out a plug on the bottom. To fill, there is a bolt that acts as a plug on top of the transfer where the shaft leaves the tranny to go to the front. Fill it back up, and then just use a pencil or something skinny, and the proper amount should be 1/2" from the top of the threads. So basically stick something in, and measure from the top of the threads to where the oil touches and it should measure 1/2". Hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Range Rover
Garage is empty, add now

Great thanx guys those replies helped alot. Just from curiosity what is the actual reccomended amount of millilitres (mls) or ounces that you are supposed to put in.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

16 fl oz. for type 3 tranny, which is what yoou have.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:13 PM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
2001, 400, 500, 90, fill, flud, fluid, fluit, kind, oil, polaris, scrambler, trans, transmission, tras