Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

96 425 magnum 4x4 four wheel drive not engaging

Old 02-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 425 magnum 4x4 four wheel drive not engaging

My four wheel drive does not engage when I push the button. I have checked the wires running from the wiring harness to each hub and they seem fine. The only thing I did before it stopped working was the gear shifter selector box I added oil to it because it was stuck in gear.. There are 3 wires that go into the gear selctor box with the linkage. does anyone know where those wires go. It seems if my rev limiter in reverse does not work anymore.....help ?

Old 02-24-2003, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

So your coils are getting power - getting magnetized? Does the AWD light come on when the button is pressed and the gear selector is in either forward gear?

Old 02-24-2003, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

Did you take the cover off when you filled the selector box? The three wires run to a switch that is sandwiched in by the lid. If the switch slides back slightly(believe me, it can as there is nothing to positively hold it in place), then the arm on the switch can disenguage the little hole located in the ball of the shifter. That will definatly cause your problem. You'll need to remove the cover and make sure the switch is enguaging the hole in the ball of the shifter, then slide the switch as far towards the shifter as you can(it'll only go so far). Now bolt the lid back on. As i tightened the lid, i pushed on the wires where they entered the selector box so the switch would'nt slide back. Hope this helps....

Old 02-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Listen to Mark. He knows of what he speaks. The switch in the shifter box is there so the machine knows what gear it is in. It lets the 4wd activate when you are in a forward range, but not reverse, and activates the rev limiter when in reverse. If the switch isn't working, the machine won't know if it is supposed to allow the 4wd to engage, or when to kick on the rev limiter.

Old 02-25-2003, 02:52 AM
Trailblazer

I think you guys have hit the nail on the head rev limiter and 4 wd stopped all when I took that cover off by the shifter to add oil,, after shifter was stuck in forward.. thanks all........................

Old 03-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

Had some time to put gear selector together right..... Now the rev limiter works in reverse... The 4wd will only work in low range and reverse.. what gives ? 4wd will not work in high

Old 03-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Does 4wd work in high when you press the override button, or not at all?
Could still be a bad contact in the shifter box. I wish I still had my old service manual so I could look up the proper wiring diagram, but I gave it to a guy with an older machine for a steak supper.
Check the continuity of the wires in low vs. high, and see if they are different through the box. They should be the same in low & high, and to a different wire in reverse. I would guess that is where the problem is.

Farmr

Old 03-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer

the only other thing I forgot to ad ... I was messing around with the wiring module on the left side of tank and there are 4 black wires at top and I do not know if they are plugged in right.. I was trying to disable the rev limiter...Have not tried it with the overide button pushed in but made sure the pin is in the gear selector the right way and pushed in when I put cover back on. My 4wd light is burned out so I have to put 4wheeler on blocks...

I am not sure what you are wanting me to check.. continuity meaning voltage of the wires ?

thanks for the reply farmer...........

Old 03-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your AWD light is not working your 4x4 wont work either it has to light up to complete the circut.

Old 03-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

Four wheel drive does work in low forward gear and reverse gear, without the light being on. It has never worked since I owned it. Front wheels do spin when starting off moving boat around yard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 425 magnum 4x4 four wheel drive not engaging