Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Pumping Tires full of Foam.

Old 12-28-2002, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pumping Tires full of Foam.

I have lots of problems with Flats. Carry around a Plug kit wherever I go. Is anybody familiar with the process of pumping foam into tires. I have no familairity with it, but have heard it is supposed to work. Anybody here have experience. I just bought a new 6 WD Ranger and figure if I was to do it, now would be the time, while the tires are new.

Old 12-28-2002, 05:04 PM
Range Rover

i haven't used any yet but was thinking about it too. as far as i know you can put it in anytime, tires don't need to be new. i have heard that the stuff is a pain in the butt if you do need to break down the tire but it's gotta be better than a flat in the woods. hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2002, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

if you use something like Fix-A-Flat, be very careful when changing tires. i was talking to a friend that owns a local garage, and he's known of people that were changing tires who didnt know that the fix-a-flat was in there, and it sprayed them good. If it gets in your eyes, it can make you go blind very quickly.

Old 12-28-2002, 09:13 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work in a wheel and tire factory and would not recommend FOAM filled tires for ATV use they are extreemly heavy.Now if you use a paper base sealant such as Slime it works really well.As for Fix A Flat stay as far away from that stuff as you can it will eat your rims up and ruin your tires.I have been thinking about foam filling my sons bicycle tires.

Old 12-28-2002, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

I foam filled a set of tires on a 300 honda a few years back and I would not reccomend it to anybody. It was extremely heavy and the suspension was terrible, not to mention all of the power the heavy tires robbed. The quads are not made to handle that much weight on the wheels and every bushing on the thing was wore out in a month. The rear axle hubs also stripped out on both sides because the front end would not come up because of the excess weight up front and the tires would not spin and the axle took all of the hit. It makes an atv very bouncy and uncontrollable. DONT DO IT!

Old 12-29-2002, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

What is this stuff?? When I raced I always ran foam inserts in my YZ80 tires, and it was like the kind use in seat padding just incase I got a flat the foam would keep it from poping off the bead.

Old 12-29-2002, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here is one link about Foam Filled Tires http://www.wholesale-tires-usa.com/f...lled-tires.htm. Like I said I don't know much. I looked around on the internet and didn'tfind much either. That weight problem does not sound good. Does it make any difference that my use is mainly business, notfun, and that the Ranger is already a lot heavier than your average ATV, mine is a 6 Wheeler, not 4 wheeler also. I think I can answer my own question though, those with experience don't like it. Bad thing is, I don't even know where all the thorns and sticks and nails are coming from, I have had tires a dozen or more plugs in them. Seems like there should be a better way.

Old 12-29-2002, 09:46 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the companys that I foam fill tires for at work use them on their top of the line mowers for the added weight and puncture ressitance and they last longer than a soild tire.For a comparison on weight a 8x2.5x4 when filled weighs 14-16 lbs.

Old 12-29-2002, 01:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

SLIME is the way to go.

I use half the reccomended amount.

It it very effective on the small stuff (nails, screws) and also does a fine job of sealing the bead.

Old 12-29-2002, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

my dad's eletric wheelchair has foam filled tires on it, so that they wont go flat if something puts a hole in them. they weigh about 35 pounds apiece!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pumping Tires full of Foam.