Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Do I have to replace my front tires with the same size tire...please read

Old 04-03-2000, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellows I just received this in an answer in the post where I was looking for a tire other than the "P" tire it reads as such:

>You will have to stay with the smaller tires infront. Polaris has designed their system to work that way. If you put the same size tires on the front you will throw your AWD out of wack and when in FWD the front will be pulling harder then the rear which will make it harder to steer and very hard on front end parts.
I like the look of the Titan 589's, they would be my choice.

I do realize that i would most likely have to stay with matching sizes such as both being 25" or 26" back and front but why couldn't I buy a wider tire for the front this doesn't make sense to me but I could be wrong...so let me know some of you guys out there that have changed tires...

Old 04-03-2000, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

What sizes are you running now? Smaller fronts: diameter or width? The polaris system allows for some variation on tire diameter between front and back. My Sportsman has 23" fronts and 24" rears. The 2000 models have 24" all around, without any gearing changes being made. Going with a taller tire up front, will make the front engage a little sooner. Shorter ones, engage later. When the AWD is engaged the front hubs cannot go slower than the front axle shaft. When going at any given speed, smaller tires will turn the front hubs faster,which in turn you will need more rear slippage to get the fronts to engage. Now, with larger (then rear) tires the hubs go slower,then you need less slippage to get the fronts to engage. You can run different sizes.
Becareful of running taller fronts(then rear) on hard pack and pavement with AWD engaged as when you turn, the fronts will travel a different path which might be enough to engage a front tire.
Hope I helped and not confused you.

Old 04-03-2000, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Actually i have been asking the same thing, i want to go bigger, i have norticed that the only 2000 model atvs that have diffrent size tires are the Xplorer 250 and 335 sportsman. The rest have the same size either 24 inch all around or 25. I could see if it was alwasy engaged why you would want the same ratio as stock, but it only engages when the back tires slip. i don't see why i could not go to 25 all the way around or 24 and 25.

Old 04-03-2000, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

I have an Xplorer400 and replaced the stock tires with 26" Mudrunners from Goodyear. They are an inch wider in the rear and about an inch or two wider up front. I kept the same rims. I had to add rubber spacers up front in the springs to keep the tires from hitting the fenders on large bumps.Also I have to tighten the rear shock in the back...make it stiffer...but you have a different system in back.The steering is twice as easy now because of the tread pattern. The mudding is twice as good too.
Very nice tire.

Old 04-03-2000, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Xepathfinder, go with 25 all the way around. It will work fine. The 1" difference in diameter will not effect the ratios much, just the fronts will engage a tad sooner. You'll not even notice the difference. If you are going to 25" front tires, you will have to change to 12" diameter wheels. Also the 2000 model Sportsman 335 has 24" tires front and back. They made a mid-model change. 24x11.5x10 rears and 24x8x12 on the front.The 24" front tires look alot better than the 23".

Old 04-04-2000, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

That was a good move for the 335, to 24 inch the 23 inch front sucks. it is just to small for offroading, Yeah I am going to check into 25 inch all the way around

Old 04-05-2000, 09:32 AM
Range Rover

You might mant to check the actual heights of the tires. Just because they say 23" and 24" does not mean that theres going to be 1" difference in height. The same goes with all tires. Alot can change the actual height of a tire, air presure, rim width, and so on. You might want to be like the NASCAR guys and try measuring the tires circumfrence once the tires are mounted, with air to see how big of difference there really is.