Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I begin to hate polaris !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I begin to hate polaris !!!

I have a '93 350cc trail boss, I bought it from my friend in april 2002... I had some fun with it...but three months ago it started overheating... I thought it was the water pump so I brouth it to a polaris dealer... he opened it and tol me the counterbalancer shaft wasen't in it's usual position...it moved about 3/4 inch on one side.. all the gears fell when he opened up the cover.. I almost need a new engine base or else he told me it might cost me about 1000$ (all new bearings, seals, some gears, water pump cover).
I just wanted to know what you guys think... should I get rid of it ? should I pay the 1000$ ? It it possible to find another engine (or engine base) less expansive than 1000$... I just don't know what to do... and I can't do it myself 'cause I don' thave the proper tools... I just need your opinion
!! thankx

Old 10-30-2002, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

I have owned 3 Polaris products. I have learned my lesson.
I will never buy another.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

The sounds little fishy to me... it is running hot so he splits the case? Did he bother to check the radiator for mud first? Did he do a leak down test to test the head gasket? Did he check to see if the coolant was flowing properly? There are two reasons that it may not be... loose impellor or faulty thermo. Did he check to see if the fan switch was working properly?

Why did he split the case? I am not familiar with the early model Polaris and it may be necessary to replace the water pump seal. But, if the water pump seal was bad, you have know this without a doubt. All your coolant would have leaked out of the weephole.

This just does not sound right to me.

In additon to that, this should not make you hate Polaris. You bought a ten year old liquid cooled atv... two-stroke if I remember correctly. You should expect some issues. While this may be more than you expected, the culprit may be the mechanic, not the quad.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Sounds kind of fishy. And definitely a 9 year old quad is going to need something no matter what brand. Bubba

Old 10-30-2002, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

In additon to that, this should not make you hate Polaris. You bought a ten year old liquid cooled atv... two-stroke if I remember correctly. You should expect some issues.
Yeah, but not an expensive motor job. I say get rid of it, not because it's a polaris, but because it's an older polaris. The newer ones are 110% more reliable, don't buy a polaris below '98 (or at least i wouldn't)

Old 10-30-2002, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

BOUGHT A USED 93 POLARIS AND GOT MY *** BURNED SO NOW I HATE POLARIS..MAN GET REAL!!! YOU ARE TYPICAL AMERICAN .BUY SOMEONE ELSE"S JUNK WHICH PROBALBY WAS NOT PROPERLY MAINTAINED(SERVICED)AND NOW ALL POLARIS ATV'S ARE JUNK.PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE WHY THIS COUNTRY IS SLOWING BECOMING A SERVICE NATION.(MANUFACTURE NOTHING SELL A LOT OF HAMBURGERS)MY FAMILY OWNS 9(NINE) POLARIS ATV'S..THE OLDEST IS A 1987 TRAILBOSS 250 WHICH IS USED ON THE FARM ALMOST DAILY.REPLACED THE BATTERY ONCE BUT WE DON'T HATE IT .WE MAINTAIN OUR ATV'S LIKE THE FARM EQUIPMENT AND HAVE VERY FEW PROBLEMS.(MASSEY TRACTOR 85,00 DOLLARS.TRANS PROBLEM)WE STILL OWN MASSEY'S DON'T HATE THEM.MY FAMILY IS PROUD TO BE AMERICAN--PROUDER TO BUY AMERICAN. GOD BLESS AMERICA

Old 10-30-2002, 09:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like the mechanics fault.The gears will fall out if the case is not split right.This also has nothing to do with the cooling of the motor unless it was cracked on the inside which is very unlikley. And if im not mistaken that year trailboss is a 250 not a 350.well you already paid for the bike and i dont think you will get much for it not running.Is it in good shape? What did you pay for it? I would get a second opinion from another dealer.

Old 10-31-2002, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

If it is liquid cooled, it will be a 350.

IF I remember right, (not 100% sure on this) but you don't have to split the cases to replace the water pump seal, but if the bearing is loose, you do. The water pump runs right off one side of the counterbalance shaft.
It almost sounds like the counterbalance oil either got contaminated or low, those are the usual culprits for a loose bearing.

Farmr

Old 10-31-2002, 12:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes you are right.My fault. I still think the mechanic is at fault for splitting the case.

Old 10-31-2002, 06:24 PM
Range Rover

Yeppers...I agree with Rincon in that I would not look to buy anything Polaris later than '98 but any ATV will hold up (or should) if properly maitained. <u>I just dont understand why someone would pay such a large amount of money and then not take care of the bike. </u> I am in the market for a 600Twin and I will ride it a lot but I will take care of it even more so. I can then sell it 3 years later and give someone else a good properly maintained bike and a good deal on top of that. I would have to say that you have a mechanic that needs more training himself.

good luck on whatever you do.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: I begin to hate polaris !!!