Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

help with strut

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 trail blazer, and the right front strut is like froze up, it makes for a real rough ride, it hasn't leaked any oil, and we can't figure out why it just don't move like it should, the left front one works, but its the right frong one, i hope you guys can help me.

Old 01-07-2002, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

My left one froze one day all the way compressed. Sure did look funny. Anyways, I took the wifes hair dryer out and used it to warm up the strut. If you have a heated garage or a friends heated garage to use, this would be the easiest way. Once I got it thawed out, I have never had it stick again. Not sure what caused it.

It could also be mechanic damage inside the strut. I have gotten a pretty good idea of how you ride that thing. I wouldn't be surprised if was just froze due to the cold weather. However, anything is possible.

Old 01-07-2002, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

By froze up, do you mean it no longer 'telescopes' longer and shorter as you hit bumps? If so, about all you can do is replace the strut cartridge. Clear on top of the strut, there is a threaded portion. A nut (sometimes a lock nut, sometimes double-nutted) will be holding the top of the shaft into an ear welded on the frame. Remove the nut or nuts there. (put blocks under the front end before you start)
Now on the strut body itself, you will find 2 pinch bolts. The body of the strut will have a slot cut through it, and on either side of the slot, there will be 'ears' with bolts through them. The bolts 'pinch' the outer strut housing tightly onto the strut cartridge. Loosen these bolts, and you should be able to pull the cartridge out. Replace with a new cartridge, making SURE that it is bottomed all the way down into the outer strut housing, and tighten the pinch bolts. Now, making sure the strut shaft is fully extended, re-install the spring, and any bushings as were on the old strut. Position the end of the shaft through the ear, and tighten everything up.
It will be much easier to do this if you remove the front fenders, but it IS possible to do with them still on.

Old 01-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Like Farmr said the only thing you can do is replace it. If its frozen for any reason, it is defective. It may be possible to free it up, but it will never work like its supposed to.

Old 01-09-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

I am jviper's best freind.And I just got off the phone with him and he said it was working now.

I am not sure what the problem was.He sheared the spidle completly in half!The part where the wheel bearing goes on.(Never saw anything like that)Anyway when his dad put it back togother the strut didn't work right.I am not sure what the problem was but somehow it became unfroze.

Guess what?We went riding friday and saturday and the only thing that happened to his bike was the center part of the hub the little plastic dustcap fell off.It is a miracle.Instead I was fixing my 300ex.Straightening out a tie-rod.I didn't wreck though.It was bent from the last time I wrecked.I heated it up to straighten it and it is softer now.Anyway it was really fun.I love riding man.It is just awesome.I have been riding for 12 years now and I still get a rush!

86 trx250r growing up to a ESR310R
97 300ex

Old 01-09-2002, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

I do agree with ScramblerX and Farmr, if it froze then yes it should probably be replaced. It does have something wrong with it but it may be good enough for you to ride. If your satisfied with the ride that it still has then ride it. If you think it is to soft then yes replace the struts.