Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Polaris
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 10-01-2001, 03:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

I installed a winch on my Sportsman 500 and have noticed a drop in the front end approx. 2-3 inches. Anybody know of replacement springs that are stiffer? where to get them?
Old 10-01-2001, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Thats why my front end is lower than my rear.
I would like to know this also.
Thanks
P.S. what winch do you have on your Sportsman?
Old 10-01-2001, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Why doesn't Polaris make an adjustible spring like Arctic Cat? It seems simlple enough? Are there any aftermarket devices? I guess Polaris makes some kind of rubber donut. Is it hard or easy to install? It's surprising that a 20 lb winch would lower it that much.
Old 10-01-2001, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

I agree with HillCat-how in the world will a 20# winch lower the machine 2-3"???? That is crazy! The springs on my 'Cat (2000 model) were too soft stock, but even with 100+ lbs., they didn't drop THAT much! -as for the adjustable shocks from AC-they are brand new for this year-several of us have been begging for stiffer shocks, this looks like what they came up with. Progressive makes HD springs for the SP, or what they call "snow plow" shocks, you can find them at www.highlifter.com, but again, nothing for AC. I modified mine by intalling a home made "spring spacer" under the bottom retaining plate of the spring itself. I believe this is what they are referring too as the "rubber donut", and is really easy to do, just takes about 20 minutes of your time, and are considerably cheaper than the new springs. We're talking a couple dollars tops, compared to a couple hundred dollars for new spring/shock assembly.

Best of Luck,

Mike
Old 10-01-2001, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Polaris make a heavier spring. Last price I knew they were about $28 each. I tried the rubber donuts and now have the springs. With the weight of my winch and cargo box it handles and rides much better. If you dont have a winch and you want something to stiffen up the front for snow blade use, the rubber donuts work just fine.
Old 10-02-2001, 07:41 AM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

I replaced my springs AND shocks on my '98 SP 500. It rides a lot better now.

FWIW, the HD springs that Polaris sells for the Sportsman 500 is the same part number as the stock springs on the Sportsman 500 6x6.

They are not too expensive and the installation is a lot easier than you would think. Forget what it says in the shop manual - you DO NOT need any high-priced special tools!

Here's a link to my photos & comments when I did the install.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:18 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'
Garage is empty, add now

Who's yo daddy?!?

THe Sportsman 700 is in at Carl's and big daddy is going to take it for a spin after work today :>!

He ordered 3 and 2 were sold over the phone so need to get up there quickly because the 700s are selling the minute they hit the floor.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Do you happen to remember what the part# was for the heavy duty springs you installed? How much were they? We were looking for those springs but my dealer acted like he couldn't get anything like that. I figure if I can get a part number even he could find them! Thanks for any help!
Old 10-21-2001, 06:04 PM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
2004, 2011, 500, atv, duty, hd, heavy, instal, polaris, rear, replacement, sportsman, spring, springs, suspension