Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scrambler tire size

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2000, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering if anyone has tried using smaller diameter tires on the rear of a scrambler 4x4 with the stock(23") front tires? or using smaller dia. tires on the front and rear? is there a certain ratio of tire circ. that you need to maintain without screwing up the factory gearing(or bias) from front to rear? thanks...chris

[This message has been edited by cruzin67 (edited 01-05-2000).]

Old 01-06-2000, 09:41 AM
Range Rover

I have been thinking about tire changes...but I had hoped to "only" replace the fronts since they are dinged and bent worse than the rears. Here is what Polaris says: (bottom line is they say you need to maintain the ratio between front and back)

-----------
From Polaris website:
Our Consumer Service Department has received many questions over the past few months regarding the use of aftermarket tires and wheel kits for our line of ATVs. Outlined below are some helpful tips to keep in mind when looking into the use of these after market products.

Polaris Industries Inc. does not recommend the use of any aftermarket modification on our products. A failure that is attributed to the use of any aftermarket modification will not be covered under the warranty policy.

Polaris Industries Inc. only recommends the use of OEM parts and accessories.

When looking into aftermarket tires and wheels, please remember to purchase tires and wheels that are the same size as the original factory tires and wheels.

If you are planing on installing larger diameter tires and wheels on your ATV, please remember that you must maintain the proper ratio between the front and rear wheels. I.E., If you install one-inch larger diameter tires on the front of your ATV, you must install one-inch larger diameter tires on the rear of your ATV. This principal will also apply to the use of larger wheels. You must retain the original ratio between the front and rear wheels in order for the Demand 4 Drive system to operate safely and correctly.

Polaris Industries Inc. only recommends that if you are planning on installing wider wheels on your Polaris ATV, that you use only OEM or factory specified accessory tires.

Polaris Industries Inc. does not recommend the use of spacer kits for the hubs. The use of spacer kits increases the stress on the drive shafts and hubs and can lead to premature failure.

Please always remember to use low gear when riding your Polaris ATV in deep water or muddy conditions when using larger wheels and tires. Your Polaris ATV was not designed to use tries and wheels larger than what is installed from the factory. The use of larger tires and wheels increases the stress on your ATV’s hubs, CV joints, and related transmission parts.

------------------
Rich Weinssen 1999 Scrambler 500 2000 Scrambler 500 2000 Trail Boss 1998 Magnum 425

Old 01-06-2000, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

Well since I bought a AWD scrambler 500 I would never go smaller on the tires sizes because I want more ground clearance, I think they are way too small already. I installed 25x9x12(F) and 25x12x10(r) and my awd works perfect, and the ride and clearance increase is outstanding compared to the stockers. I think Adam /quad_man has installed or is going to install 20" on the back so he could tell you about going down on size. I have no problem with the ratio.

------------------
Steve Thompson

99 Scrambler 500

Old 01-06-2000, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

I run 23x7x10 Holeshot XCT front, and 20x11x9 Holeshot XC rear tires, all 4 on Douglas .190 wheels. When I am playing in the mud, or really want to go "off-road" (meaning no trail), I switch to stock front tires & rims and 22x11x10 rear Bearclaws on Douglas .190 rims.

What I have found, is that the 20" are great for everything (for the type of riding they are designed for) but they lower the top end too much, so I am regearing. I haven't used the 4wd much with 20" rear and 23" front, but the times I have I saw no problems with engagement, disengagement, or while actualy driving. Keep in mind though, I wasn't running 4wd on pavement, or really hardpack, only where I needed it.

I might be buying mud tires for the front sometime, but I don't know what to do. I want to go to 25" Bearclaws f/r now, but I already have 22" rear Bearclaws. Maybe someone will buy them, but I doubt it. If not I will probaly get 23" front Bearclaws.

I can't guarentee you won't have problems, but I haven't (yet) when running mixed sizes. I now feel better about running bigger tires too, because after switching to smaller ones, I noticed how the PVT really hides tire size changes. It automaticaly gears up or down, making it seem like the stock tire sizes except when running right off idle, or at top speed.

Old 01-07-2000, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer

does the smaller dia tires help with bottom end performance any? and what kind of top end speed is lost with the shorter tire size like the 20"?

------------------