Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 90 fuel leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 90 fuel leaking

A friend of mine picked up 2 used quads for his kids. One was an eton and didn't run. The polaris wouldn't start, but I covered the exhaust with my hand and we finally got it to crank up and run. So while I'm tracking down the no spark issue on the Eton, all of sudden this Polaris 90 starts pouring fuel out of the vent tube on the bottom of the carb after a few rides.

I checked the screw at the bottom of carb, used for draining the fuel bowl, but it's closed tight. What else could be causing the fuel to just pour out of that vent tube once the quad starts running?

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 08-26-2014, 12:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Usually a worn or sticking float needle would be the cause of the fuel pouring out. You can try to clean it or replace with a kit if cleaning the needle and seat area doesn't help.Oem Kits aren't cheap for the little ones.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-90-Sportsman-Carburetor-Carb-Repair-Rebuild-Kit-2001-2002-NEW-/191301356274?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c8a730af2&vxp=mtr Aftermarket Tungsheng carbs are available,but may not be as good as the oem Mikuni that's on it.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Polaris-Sportsman-90-90cc-Manual-Choke-Carb-2001-2006-/181495862475?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a41ff14cb&vxp=mtr

Old 08-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default line from the front of motor

so while taking the carb off, I see a line coming from the bottom area of the motor and is wrapped in wire that's like a spring. What is that line for? It would be on the bottom right front side of the motor if you were sitting on the quad. I followed it up from the motor, and it just hanging there, not connected to anything and not plugged up either.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The main oil pump line from the oil tank has a spring protecting it. Plus there is a crank case vent line also,located close to the gear case fill plug,but don't remember them having a spring,but possible. Item#13 on the oil line.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Item #6 on the crank case vent.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Or it could be a loose line from the crazy fuel line setup from the fuel tank. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 08-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update

I appreciate the info OPT. I took it apart and cleaned it up. I put it back together and it started leaking immediately. I took all back apart again and noticed there was junk in the seat where the needle goes already. I also took a real good look at the float and needle, and noticed it wasn't really seating the needle all the way. I bent that tab on the float, just a bit, and inspected again. I took a little tinkering, but I figured it was worth a shot before I ordered a rebuild kit - as the needle looked pretty good to me.

I also noticed there was NO fuel filter in this setup, so I snagged a fuel filter, new shutoff valve and used some left over fuel line from a jetski rebuild a year ago.

I left the air box off to do a short test ride, on pavement driveway. All was well with the fuel leaking. I did notice it was wasn't liking WOT though, and was bogging out a bit. I figured I'd messed up the flow by adjusting the tab too much on the float, BUT I also knew it was getting more air flow since the box was off. I put the air box back on, and it's running and not leaking.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

This bike was converted to premix by a previous owner. I think that line may be the main oil line. If that's just open ended on the line, wouldn't it be causing issue with the engine running? I don't want to plug the crank case vent tube, if that's what it actually is.....

I'll do so more looking around, and see if I can locate the vent line and maybe figure out what's what.

Just wondering though, if that is in fact the main oil line, I would think having that line not plugged would cause the engine to not run right - like too much air......?????

Old 08-29-2014, 04:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Block any loose lines that have been disconnected from the oil pump to eliminate any air sucking into the engine. Plus make sure you have the small oil delivery nipple on the carb blocked also.Premix 40-1. Didn't have any problems on these little pumps,but a lot of people didn't trust them. The gear case vent tube is in the middle of the gear case away from the engine. 2 stokes engines don't have a crank case vent.