Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2004.5 Sportsman 700 EFI Run Great 1st 10-15 Minutes

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004.5 Sportsman 700 EFI Run Great 1st 10-15 Minutes

2004.5 Sportsman 700 EFI runs great for 10-15 minutes then goes into what appears to be a limp mode.

Once it cools down I'm back in business..

Replaced TBAP fol lowing OLD Polaris Tech's recommendation and continue to have the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Old 08-15-2014, 02:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Tbap was one of the major problems that efi machines had,but not limited to just that. Wiring shorts in the fuse block under the front panel,shorts in the crank position sensor that run under the throttle body,low fuel pressure from a weak fuel pump about to go out could cause this limp mode also. I'd check the fuel pump pressure,must hold 39psi without any drop in pressure. Plus can't overlook a wiring or connector problem from the tps sensor also. Plus several changes on the early 700 efi models that have been made including the throttle body and tps part numbers themselves. Items #10.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse If you can't track it down to any of these as the problem,worth the 1 hr labor charge(usually) to have it hooked up to Digital Wrench to find it.Plus overheating issues can cause it to go into limp mode for protection also.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT for your reply..

Polaris 2004.5 Sportsman 700 EFI was purchased in 2010-2011 from the father of the original owner.
Original owner apparently had found the machine had more power than he was comfortable with and parked it at his dads farm. The father rode it only occasionally until I purchased t from him.

Engine Hours 149.6
Odo 804
Trip 9.7
Tach 0

Rider Information Center shows:
V 2.1
Screen 1: Battery voltage 12.4
Screen 2: Tachometer 0
Screen 3: AWD Off
Screen 4: Gear Circuit resistance 158
Screen 5: Service Interval 3.9
Screen 6: Miles/Kilometers MP

This appears to be very low numbers for a 2004.5 Sportsman 700 EFI. Do you agree?

In your experience, what would be the best order in which to tackle the diagnostic steps you suggested?

Thanks Again for your reply.

Buddy

Old 08-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Low mileage machine,rider display normal plus shows service light will flash in 3.9 hrs from what ever it was set last time(50 hrs -100 hrs) Mileage divided by total hrs shows it to have been ridden on average just over 5mph which is really low. Just start at the basics and check all connections from the battery forward. Especially wiring coming from the tps sensor on the throttle body for any bare spots or soft feeling wires.This along with crank sensor wiring. Fresh fuel if the machine still has the old fuel in it. I'd do a fuel pressure check also to eliminate it as a problem.You can check the fuse block for any wiring problems. It can be pulled up to check the wiring underneath. Also you can pull up the two black relays,one is for the fan,the other is power to efi,etc and check their connectors. Just swap them around as they are the same to see if any difference in running. Again only so much you can do with a test light or meter on efi machines. They don't have to throw codes when they have problems either. If you don't have a service manual,here's a 2005 that's basically the same as yours that goes a little deeper on some things to check.Again if all else fails to find the source of the problem I'd have it hooked up to Digital Wrench.
http://gh-ftp.com/ORV%20Manuals/Pola...I%20-%20SM.pdf

Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 AM
Range Rover

I would start looking at the fuel pump.
Showing symptoms like the one I had.
Look for info on a replacement from napa?

Old 09-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Digital Wrench Service Dept. Follow Up

Took the 2004.5 Sportsman 700EFI in for Digital Wrench diagnostics last week.
Service Manager called me with results. Nothing was found.

He rode it for couple of days around the shop and could not replicate my lost of power after a 15-20 minute ride.

He let me talk to his service guy who thought I might have a PDM problem or possible a faulty voltage regulator. What is the PDM? Could not find a reference in 2005 Sportsman 700EFI, Sportsman 800EFI Service Manual.

Not sure how to proceed at this point. Any suggestions?

Old 09-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You either have a pdm or regulator rectifier not both and I believe it should just be a regulator located at the front by the radiator on this model. Have you or the dealership checked fuel pressure,checked the fuse block area for any wiring shorts,plus the wiring from the tps and crank sensor? Granted erratic problems or sometimes hard to trace,plus in your first post you mentioned you replace the tbap. Was it the sensor or the updated wiring harness for this sensor you replaced?

Old 09-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to Old Polaris Tech for his prompt replies!

T-BAP, from OTB PowerSports, which was wiring and plug, was replaced. Sensor was not replaced. I'll put sensor on my Cycle Parts Warehouse list.

I see fuses (1-6, 1-15 & 2-20's) and regulator but no relays near ECU?

Ask dealer to check fuel pressure, fuses, cps and crank along with Digital Wrench process. He said that everything checked out.

Would you be suspect of regulator at this point?

Old 09-11-2014, 01:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I'd be more suspect of an ecu problem itself rather than a regulator rectifier that's main purpose is charging the battery "IF" all other checks such as wiring,sensors themselves,fuel pump,crank sensor,fuse block,etc have been eliminated. Doesn't happen often,but if it's electrical it can fail.Plus one last thing,not sure on this model,but check up the wiring harness leading to the fuse block,may be a 20 amp circuit breaker such as the ones used on the 800s that caused problems. If there is one it may just be taped to the wiring loom or in a sealed plastic pouch. 2004.5 model was an odd ball into itself as it was the early transition into efi machines.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Again OPT..

Another thing happened last evening when I unloaded the Polaris from the trailer. I unloaded it, turned it off, and left it in the driveway while I cut my grass.

I then moved it underneath my deck and when I turned the key off the starter kept on spinning. The only way I could stop it was to unhook ground from the battery.

Does this indicate any particular type problem that could be related to what we have been discussing?

Quick Reply: 2004.5 Sportsman 700 EFI Run Great 1st 10-15 Minutes