Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1988 trail boss 250 4x4 sprocket &chains

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 trail boss 250 4x4 sprocket &chains

I am replacing all the sprockets and chains on my trail boss 4x4 because the rear chain kept being thrown as it was worn and stretched so I have decided to replace all chains and sprockets. I have just received the parts and upon removing sprockets and chains ran into a snag ?? I had removed the centre chain and sprockets no problem .... removed rear sprocket from rear axle still no problem , now I am trying to figure out how to remove the sprocket closest to the trans I cannot figure it out , I have removed the centre bearing to the side of the frame thinking it would slide but that doesn't move I figured that the shaft may slide after unbolt the hanger type bearing that joins the centre chain sprocket to the rear sprocket bolted to the trans output shaft ?? does anyone know how to remove the sprocket ..... thanks guys in advance

Old 08-15-2014, 03:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Has a small circlip that holds the sprocket on the trans shaft. Really helps to have either a long nose small circlip pliers to reach through the frame hole or a 45 or 90 degree pliers to reach from underneath the bottom of the frame to get to it.Can be a pain if you don't. Item #31 is the circlip on the parts break down.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Attached Thumbnails 1988 trail boss 250 4x4 sprocket &chains-knt-4921a31.gif  
Old 08-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey old polaris tech,
I have been fighting with the bearing removal tried the old crank pulley trick 2 pry bars and walk it off still stuck on the trans output shaft(I took out the 2 bolts)... Any hidden trick for me ? So once I get the hanger bearing from the frame remove the snap ring and then the sprocket will come down the shaft away from the trans ?
Maybe the atv is just fighting me because it is an 88.
Thanks again
Jamie

Old 08-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Older they get the harder it is to work on em. Plus don't tear up the bearing if you can as the replacement runs about 65 bucks. Plus if I remember correctly the locking collar behind the bearing assy has a small allen set screw you have to loosen to remove the whole thing.Feel around the collar and see if you find it. Set screw may or may not be on this model,was on later models I know.Could just be frozen from rust. Might try some PB Blaster and some heat also. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus yes once you get the bearing off,then the circlip,the sprocket slides through the frame opening.