Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help me get started troubleshooting my 2001 Explorer 250 4x4

Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me get started troubleshooting my 2001 Explorer 250 4x4

Hey all,

I've been reading and searching the forum trying to find a similar problem - I've found a couple of questions but nothing that exactly addresses my problem.

I just bought a 2001 Explorer 4x4 that the previous owner swore only had carb issues (yea, I've heard that before).

Well, before I even tackle the carb problem, I have a problem with that quad seeming to be semi-engaged. Compared to my 400 Sportsman 4X4, this quad is very hard to roll in neutral and looks like the front drive shafts are turning (I don't even know enough to know what is supposed to happen). All I really know is this thing is a monster to push around and its about 2/3rds the size of my 400L.

The next thing is the starter - its tough to describe but my sportsman kind of has a low deep "glug-glug-glug" sound going on the with the starter and this explorer sounds a much higher pitch like the starter is fighting the engine.The starter works and there isn't any squealing sound or really metal grinding but it doesn't sound healthy at all. Of course it doesn't hit a lick at this point, but I'm not really concerned about that yet.

So I really don't know where to start - I've pushed the quad backwards and forwards hoping to disengage whatever is dragging it down with no luck.

The quad appears to be in pretty good shape cosmetically and there isn't any oil leaks or anything like that.

Finally, I'm having trouble finding a service manual. I read on here that the trailblazer has the same engine - would that also cover the 4x4 mechanics?

I figured a video would be better than my description so I made a somewhat dark but audio focused video to lets you hear my starter problem on youtube

Old 08-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hard to tell if it is or not,but if the engine is turning over,check compression before you go too far. If the engine's not turning over then sounds like the starter bendix behind the recoil housing is trash. The starter engages it and centrifugal force kicks the teeth of the bendix out to engage the flywheel and spin the engine. As far as it being hard to push,could be the front hubs may be engaged. They can if they were run dry of oil,roll cage in the hubs damaged,etc. Just jack the front end up and see if the front tires spin freely. If they do,the problem could be else where. Hard to find a manual for the Explorer 250. Yes the Trail Blazer has the same engine,but won't help on an awd issue. They only made these for a couple years. Here's a 5 buck 2002 manual that's the same as your machine. Hardly any changes,just decals. 2002 Polaris Xplorer Service Manual PDF Download

Old 08-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

great - happy to pay $5 for a service manual.

I'll test out the wheels in the morning and check compression. The previous owner swore the compression was good but you never know.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

welp I couldn't stand it so I ran out and tested my compression..

I'm not an expert at this - at first I was getting nothing, then I remembered reading to drop some oil in the spark plug chamber to help get a better seal, and after that I got.....35psi.

I'm sure I need to be well over 120 so I've determined I've been lied to in this purchase.

I'm not all that upset - with a 13 year old 2 stroke it was a matter of time before I did a new top end. Now I just want to do it right.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Better to find this out now than later after you've spent time and money on other parts. Make sure the rod doesn't have any up and down play after you take the jug off,or a new rod kit,crank bearings and seals will be needed along with a new top end. Imo I wouldn't take a chance on just a top end on an old machine.Good money can be wasted if a lower rod bearing or crank bearing spits pieces up into that freshly bored cylinder and new piston.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Better to find this out now than later after you've spent time and money on other parts. Make sure the rod doesn't have any up and down play after you take the jug off,or a new rod kit,crank bearings and seals will be needed along with a new top end. Imo I wouldn't take a chance on just a top end on an old machine.Good money can be wasted if a lower rod bearing or crank bearing spits pieces up into that freshly bored cylinder and new piston.
good advice, but that may be beyond my wrenching capabilities. Let's hope the rod doesn't have any play.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

That's where manuals come in handy. At least if need be you can tear the engine down and have a machine shop/local dealer bore the cylinder and install the rod kit. Not that awfully expensive if you do the tear down and install. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-250-300-Connecting-Rod-Kit-Trail-Blazer-Boss-/380724551337?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a4f39ea9&vxp=mtrhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-250-TRAIL-BLAZER-BOSS-PISTON-RINGS-GASKET-BEARING-KIT-72-50mm-020-OVER-/161379584756?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2592f90af4&vxp=mtr Wiseco piston kit a little higher.
Plus you can contact this guy that's a member of the forum.Rick Ritter. polaris

Old 08-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
That's where manuals come in handy. At least if need be you can tear the engine down and have a machine shop/local dealer bore the cylinder and install the rod kit. Not that awfully expensive if you do the tear down and install. Polaris 250 300 Connecting Rod Kit Trail Blazer Boss | eBay
Polaris 250 Trail Blazer Boss Piston Rings Gasket Bearing Kit 72 50mm 020 Over | eBay
Wiseco piston kit a little higher.
Plus you can contact this guy that's a member of the forum.Rick Ritter. polaris

great stuff - thanks - you really are an asset to this site.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

check the oil in transmission,..if its dryed up itll be hard to push if its sat an cankerd up! just found this out when i got ready to fix my exporer thats been setting a year!

Old 08-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Trailblazer

thanks - I will check the oil tomorrow, jack it up and see if I can get it to spin freely