Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

White gunk in my radiator overflow in my rzr

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White gunk in my radiator overflow in my rzr

My antifreeze is low in my overflow and I notice there's white gunk in the bottom and also noticed it when I open my rad cover. I never submerged the side by side in water and it's only a year old...any guess if it's normal?

Old 08-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's a Razr 800,I've seen this several times and also in the Sportsman 800s ever since they first came out. Could be the head gasket is allowing a small amount of oil to seep into the cooling jackets and contaminating the coolant. I've found small amounts of white oily film at the tops of radiators also. Seems the 800 engine was the main one to do this and I'd always keep a check on the oil level to see if it might get worse.I've had Sportsmans and Razrs come into the shop and be anywhere from just a tad low on the dip stick to almost a quart low on some that were really ridden hard and not checked often. Plus these engines just seem to burn oil versus most of the other engines. Just the nature of this beast of an engine I guess. If you have the 900 engine that's doing this,I haven't heard anything from the guys at the shop,but might see what they might have come across.Hard to keep up with the newer model problems after being retired.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

It's a 2013 800cc HO. So is this something that I should be worried about? I do have warranty but it seams like it's difficult to get service around here. I went to see them yesterday and they never heard of it...of course. I also bent my winch brackets and they had never heard of that neither. Should I bring it in, or flush the system or leave it that way? I check the oil level and it's perfect also the oil looks clean.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OPT, just a question about this: could it be a silica based TDS that's leftover after some water boiled off of the antifreeze mix? i've seen it left over on older vehicles too.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be a little tds film that has accumulated from water deposits in the coolant. Just like the film or white spots left from detergents on glasses,silverware in dish washers.Antifreeze since it's mainly 60/40 now(at least on Polaris machines) instead of 50/50 may have something to do with this. Since it's a fairly new machine,may be all that it is,but some of the ones I encountered weren't.If the oil level ever drops,then I'd really check into it. I'd pressurize the cooling system and check for any leak down . The main thing is that the oil level is still on the money as he remarked.This is the critical thing.If mine I'd just suck the surface film out of the radiator,clean the bottle and just keep a check on it and the oil level on a regular basis.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much for the help!!!