Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 sportsman 500

I have a 2001 polaris sportsman 500 i have no power to any of the wheels I was driving and it sounded like I ran over somthing but I didnt is there a chain inside a housing that may have broke? thanks

Old 08-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If the front wheels won't even turn while in awd,probably broke a belt not allowing power to the transmission.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Trailblazer

Check your clutch belt like opt says . If that's ok, then you may have broken a chain inside your transmission.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:37 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Kevcules
Check your clutch belt like opt says . If that's ok, then you may have broken a chain inside your transmission.
Could be the tranny , if the rear wheels do not slip then the front wheel can never engage.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by TLC
Could be the tranny , if the rear wheels do not slip then the front wheel can never engage.
Yep that's possible,but if the main rear wheel chain broke,I'd think the snorkel shaft and prop shaft would still turn with the other chain unless bound up or if it's the chain that's possibly broken. Really didn't have that many chain problems or any other major problems on the Sportsman 500s unless they were really abused.Basically bullet proof with just regular maintenance,but anything can happen and hopefully he'll tell us what he found out. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 08-08-2014, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2002 polaris 4x4 trouble

Hello
I'm new to the forum and don't know how to start a thread. Can someone give me some info on how to get started? I need help on a 4x4 problem

Old 08-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

For future posts click on "new thread" at the bottom of the page in the Polaris section. Enter a title and as much detail as you can about the problem. You can post in this section or the expert section,but not two posts in both sections about the same problem. Plus since you're here,what's the problem? Hit the post reply at the bottom of the page.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default polaris magnum 500 4x4

I have a 2002 polaris magnum 500 4x4 and it has the differential that locks not the hubs. I had to replace it. I bought a used one off ebay and its not working right. I have a wiring problem with the speedo and the top headlight. I was wondering if i could wire it directly to the switch. Is it supposed to lock when twelve volts is applied. Thanks for your help on this.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Unless your front diff was completely trashed,the main problem on awd engagement was cracked plastic roll cages,warped armature plates.Buying a used one may have the same problems. Same year machine was listed in the expert section today. Plus the awd does go through the speedo on the later models such as yours. If the speedo doesn't work,the awd wont either. You can bypass the speedo by jumping the brown/white wire in the speedo harness to a brown(ground) wire. Either the brown in the speedo harness or jump to one of the main browns mounted on the coil mounting bolt. If the front diff is ok,the front wheel drive should work.. hopefully. Plus look at this post from today.Plus at the end of the post there is a good link for a manual that can help.http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...-hilliard.html

Old 08-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, old one was completely trashed. The oil 'l leaked out and it appeared to be full of mud.
switch is working by the test light. I will try what you said
tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Quick Reply: 2001 sportsman 500