Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

99 sp 500 rear wheel bearing

Old 07-19-2014, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 sp 500 rear wheel bearing

Am replacing all 4 boots on rear axle of 99 sp500 and when removing one of the axles the inner wheel bearing sleeve was affixed to the axle. I was able to tap it off driveshaft without damage and pop back into the hub.
Do I need to replace it(bearing)? Or can I clean the bearing out and just repack it-reassemble? Axle surface itself was smooth but dark in color.
Oh and do I need to put any assembly grease on the shaft itself before assembly axle back into hub/bearing or does it go together dry being it's a somewhat sealed bearing.
Appreciate the help.

-Jon

Old 07-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

If the axle is dark, that is most likely due to heat.
That doesn't necessarily mean the bearing has failed, but let me answer your question with a question.

Consider how difficult was it to get to this point in the tear down, and then consider the cost of a new bearing. How much is your time worth? Is the price of a bearing worth the time to tear everything apart again to replace it?

Old 07-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I've found the inner race on some that had come out on brand new bearings still in the package,but just stuck them back in.These split race bearings were also bad about having the inner race sticking to the axles.If this the original bearings,then yes replace it. You can find them on ebay,etc for about 30 bucks or less for the pair(both sides)Plus other sites may be even cheaper. Just remove the carrier,remove the snap ring,place the new bearings in the freezer. Helps to apply a little heat from a torch on the carrier while you have the top of the carrier lip on two 2x4s. An air impact with a dull bit makes short work of working the bearing out from the rear through the open slots in the carrier. You can do as the guy in the video and use a wood block to install the new bearing,then use the old bearing to seat it in a little further so you can replace the snap ring. Or if you have a cheap bearing installer set,it's even easier.And yes even on almost new machines,when changing boots I've had the inner race come out,but if the blue grease still looked good along with the bearings I just added a tad more grease if needed and shoved it back in.Don't tell anyone..

Attached Thumbnails 99 sp 500 rear wheel bearing-image_21572.jpg  
Old 07-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default SP500 Wheel bearing/Axle installation cont'd

Thanks OP,appreciate your help. One last question. According to the video,the smooth surface of the axle where the wheel bearing rides gets no lube/and or grease? Just a dry fit? God Bless ya,

-Jon

Old 07-20-2014, 02:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Doesn't require any grease as the bearings are "sealed",but doesn't hurt to use a film of grease on the drive shaft itself, a light film of anti seize is even better. Won't keep it completely water proof by the way of its design but may make it easier if you ever have to disassemble the carrier again. Same thing on the splines of the axle going into the transmission.Anti seize can slow down corrosion and sticking in case you ever have to pull it again.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OP. I have used anti-seize on the splines but you also recommend and think it's ok to smear a little on the machined surface that slides in to the wheel bearing collar?

Old 07-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes..