Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

95 Magnum 425 4x4 - Reverse Limiter Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Magnum 425 4x4 - Reverse Limiter Question

I have a 95 Magnum 425 4x4. It kept dieing when I would switch it in reverse, unless I held in the override button and kept it in. I disconnected the black ground for the rev limiter and now reverse works fine. Even though the rev limiter is disconnected, I still have to hold in the override button for 4x4 to work. I thought disconnecting the rev limiter will allow my 4x4 to work without pushing the override button as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2014, 06:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Some people have hooked up relays to bypass the limiter and over ride switch,others have just done something like this.

"Open the hood of your machine and on the upper right hand side you will find the wires that I will refer to. Locate and cut the gray/orange stripe wire which goes from the over ride button to the speedo. Tape off the cut ends as these will no longer be used. You have just bypassed the reverse rev-limiter. Locate the three purple wires that terminate with a female spade type connector. (this connector is not connected to anything and will be just hanging there waiting for somebody to connect a reverse light to it) Of the three purple wires, find the one that goes to the override button and cut it off as close to the spade connection as possible. Locate the gray/white stripe wire and splice a 6" piece of wire to it with a male spade connector crimped to the other end. ( make sure your splice is well insulated as there will be power through it). Locate the red/white stripe wire (ignition activated power) which ends with a female spade connector. ( this connector is not connected to anything and is just hanging there waiting for somebody to connect an accessory to it ) Take the 6" male connector on the wire you just installed and plug it in to the red/white stripe female connector."

If awd still doesn't work in reverse you may have a ground problem at the small hub wires themselves. You can ground the small wires to a larger common ground and see if it works like the one in the video on a Sportsman 500 which has the same system as the Magnum.