Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

did i just blow my sportsman up??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did i just blow my sportsman up??

Ok so i did my first oil change on my 2000 sportsman 500.dumped the oil out of the tank and the crankcase bolt was covered in dirt in mud so i didnt pull that.insted i poped the plug wire off and cranked the motor for 20sec or so to get the oil out.changed the filter and filled with two quarts of oil,fired it up let it idle for a couple min till i felt the oil filter warm up.hopped on to take it for a spin and got about 1/4 mile motor slowed down then appered to lock up.rears tires were skidding and smoke came out of the belt breather.hopped off to make shure i didnt loose oil andi didnt.hit the starter and it fired right back up(only sat for maybe 45seconds since it came to a stop)..no knocks or odd noises no smoke out the exhaust,rode it around for 5min or so with no issues.pulled the air filter cover off with it idling and it has some blowbye from the crank vent.i seriously dont know what happened was hoping maybe you guys had some insight on this thanks

Old 04-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Range Rover

when you take all the oil out of crankcase, you are supposed to bleed the system of air first, by pinching a hose out of the tank just before the slit. Did you do that?

Old 04-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

No didnt know you had to, i just did an oil change like i would on any other quad.. what stumps me is that it seems like if there was air in the system and it lockedup do to no oil.that it wouldnt have fired right back up after only sitting 45seconds. And not smoking nore knocking..and i felt the filter after it idled for a couple mins after i changed the oil and it was luke warm thus saying there is oil flowing in it

Old 04-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Anythings possible,but under most cases I never primed the pump unless the oil tank screen was removed and never had a failure like that right off to bat in all the years I worked on the 500. Possible too if it is a piston/rod seizure, that it was going to happen any way if service hasn't been kept up with on a regular basis also.Blow by on the crank case vent into the air box is normal. If you rule the engine out on this after you run it awhile longer,you might have a look at the clutches and belt. Could be from that section that's giving you problems on it locking up. Try to cross my fingers for ya..

Old 04-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im going to run it around on tommoro and see how she does and see if theres any power loss smoke or knocks.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Keep us posted on this one!

Old 04-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Could the ebc possibly locked up? I did have it burried in mud the other day and had the belt soaking wet.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

Hopefully, you have a clutch issue. I prime mine after every oil change, but I am a nervous nelly.

Do you know the history of the machine? like Service history?

Old 04-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I dont see how it could be a clutch issue unless the belt blew..the machine has 1400miles an old man bought it new in 2000 rolled it and then parked it.sat for 5yrs and his son got it out and cleaned it up to sell it for him.and his son changed the oil right before i bought it.thats all i know on it

Old 04-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

And what hose do i use to prime? The on that runs to the right of the machine on the air box?

Quick Reply: did i just blow my sportsman up??