Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2004.5 Polaris Sportsman 400

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I tested the pick up coil and got 47 ohms, Torque bolts properly so i guess i need a pick up coil then ill try to start it again

Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Geartec
OK I tested the pick up coil and got 47 ohms, Torque bolts properly so i guess i need a pick up coil then ill try to start it again
Hope it's that simple. You can get one here pretty cheap if you can't find one cheaper else where. Ricky Stator

Old 04-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

So if I'm getting spark and the pick up coil is 47 ohms the pick up coil should be 97 ohms could it just be the pick up coil getting weak so if I move it closer it should at least try to fire?

Old 04-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

No harm trying,as it may help.. Plus check your meter and leads. At that reading I'm surprised that you do have any spark?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I set my ohm meter to 20k and got 47ohms again i tried starting it again i put my hand over the air intake on the carb and i got good suction and lots of gas came out and it wanted to fire then i tired without my hand and it just cranked over and over but did not fire. The rpm gauge says 200-250rpm cranking speed is that fast enough to fire? and i tired pull starting it and it sometimes yanks out of my hand but does not fire. I also moved the pick up coil closer .016. I checked the spark plug it was wet with gas i cleaned it then tried a new plug gaped correctly but nothen. I tested the spark plugs against the block and got a blue spark. Not sure what to do next

Old 04-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

I would try pulling the choke out all the way, and pushing in to about 1/4". Then pull the engine over until right after you feel two humps, retract rope and give a good heave. That's what I've had luck with on my 99 and 04 500's, normally won't rip it out of my hand when I do that. As for cranking speed I would have to check.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok ill try that tomorrow im just cleaning my carb again the diaphragm stuck up but that just happened when i lifted it up to check the butterfly to see if it was open too much flooding the engine and i also checked the volts to see if the starter was robbing too much power not powering all the other electronics i got 9.50 volts when cranking the battery is full charged

Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

I'll try and check the cranking rpms on mine and the volts while she cranks tomorrow.

Don't know if it's been addressed but mine don't like to run with the air box covers off.

Oh the lovely diaphragm...that lil bugger wasn't moving and letting me go above 20mph...I thought it was the engine so I rebuilt it...couple hundred later and it still didn't rev. Diaphragm was binding up it was so worn. Granted she burned some oil and the crank had side to side slop, the engine wasn't the issue.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

my diaphragm worked last year now after sitting for the winter its sticky i cleaned it and oiled it but its still sticky but will the vacuum suck it back down? yea i heard if the air box is off it wont likely start so i put it on and still no start. I doesn't make sense i got good compression, spark, and air, rebuilt carb, new spark plug, voltages are good , but just that pick up coil is 47 ohms which supposed to be 97 ohms but yet i get spark i heard if the pick up coil is bad you get no spark or a weak spark.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Geartec
I set my ohm meter to 20k and got 47ohms again i tried starting it again i put my hand over the air intake on the carb and i got good suction and lots of gas came out and it wanted to fire then i tired without my hand and it just cranked over and over but did not fire. The rpm gauge says 200-250rpm cranking speed is that fast enough to fire? and i tired pull starting it and it sometimes yanks out of my hand but does not fire. I also moved the pick up coil closer .016. I checked the spark plug it was wet with gas i cleaned it then tried a new plug gaped correctly but nothen. I tested the spark plugs against the block and got a blue spark. Not sure what to do next
Set you meter to the lowest ohms setting,not 20k. May show the difference on pick up coil reading. If it shows within range,have fuel,spark,but plug is still wet,could still be a carb related problem,plus recheck cam timing or could be a problem when you reinstalled the head after lapping the valves. That's when a leak down test may come up with something.

Attached Thumbnails 2004.5 Polaris Sportsman 400-voltmeter-battery-pack1-005-320x332.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2004.5 Polaris Sportsman 400