Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

no spark to plug when using electric starter

Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Look on your 2007 trail Boss 330 under "electrical" will show the limiter as part #15 .Browse
OPT
Thanks! Saw it....now can't really unplug the bk wire, have to disconnect the harness or cut the bk wire, test then wire it back

Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just unplug the connector. All you're trying to do is to see if by passing it you might have spark at the plug when you try to electric start. If still no spark at the plug when electric starting,but have spark and will crank and run with the recoil only then I'd just replace the ignition switch. You've just about eliminated all other things that it could be. OPT

Old 12-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer
Talking

thought I would bring this thread to a close with this

"Have Spark When Using Electric Starter"....

I really had my wits tested on this one, and it had me going in circles only to wind back up at the pulse coil (trigger). I was thinking, I had spark only when using the recoil, so what's up with that? I asked my self, one last time and if I couldn't figure it out, then I'll throw in the white flag, which is something I'm not doing without a fight

I remover the recoil cover last night after work, and began inspecting...

I looked at the pulse coil for any signs of rust, damage ect...nothing except for a large gap between the coil and flywheel magnet, I thought that looks incorrect, thinking back on all my years working on cars and small engines.

Well a while back the pull rope broke while engine was running. The cord wrapped around everything under the recoil housing and caused the starter bendix to jamb. I found frayed cord all over the place and bits of metal stuck to the magnet on the pulse trigger. I cleaned all this up and installed a new starter bindix, buttoned everything up, and that's when this no starting issue came up...well to shorten this up, apparently when the pull rope broke cord jamed everything up inside the recoil housing, it also pulled (bent) the pulse trigger down away from the flywheel magnet. In this position the trigger was only able to send the electrical pulse to the cdi to fire the coil, when using recoil starter, because it rotates the engine at a slower speed, than the electric starter, so the pulse coil could pick up that slower magnet of the flywheel and not the faster moving electric starter because of the large air gap, resulting in a no start when using electric starter, condition

feel free to correct me if I'm incorrect,

but when I bent the pulse trigger back up in the correct position and reset the air gap, re tightened the screws, installed the recoil housing. I went to check for spark at the plug with electric starter.....GOT BIG BLUE SPARK!!!!!!! now lets put the plug back in and see if she will fire up.....YES! YES! YES!!!! it fired up on the first hit of the key..
the end

thanks for all the input, and hope the information contained in this thread will help others

Old 12-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Give it a try! Just remove the recoil and slightly tap the pulser coil inward a little toward the flywheel,BUT don't tap hard!!. There actually isn't any adjustment on the pulse mounting bracket(no slots) but you can decrease the pulser gap clearance which might help by tapping a little! If it doesn't help then replace the switch. Hope it cranks up! OPT

Old 12-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer

Give it a try! Just remove the recoil and slightly tap the pulser coil inward a little toward the flywheel,BUT don't tap hard!!. There actually isn't any adjustment on the pulse mounting bracket(no slots) but you can decrease the pulser gap clearance which might help by tapping a little! If it doesn't help then replace the switch. Hope it cranks up! OPT
don't know if you read my last post, but I repaired it, thanks for your help

Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by lovetowrenchit
don't know if you read my last post, but I repaired it, thanks for your help
Think I've read of this happening several times before on some earlier posts!Never had this particular problem happen at the old shop. Gotta remember this ,if I can in the future if someone comes up with the same problem again!. Glad you have it fixed and didn't buy a new switch that you didn't need! OPT

Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer

Think I've read of this happening several times before on some earlier posts!Never had this particular problem happen at the old shop. Gotta remember this ,if I can in the future if someone comes up with the same problem again!. Glad you have it fixed and didn't buy a new switch that you didn't need! OPT
certainly worth keeping in the memory banks, and

Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

by any chance would you know if ant of the 85 polaris parts would interchange with any of the 80s yamaha?

Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by earlmccoy99
by any chance would you know if ant of the 85 polaris parts would interchange with any of the 80s yamaha?
Maybe the tires Seriously,if you have an old Yamaha concentrate on finding parts for it,Ebay,Craigs list,even Cycle Parts Warehouse or Cheap Cycle Parts may have parts you are needing. Plus you'd have better luck posting in the Yamaha section as to parts you are needing.Plenty of Yamaha owners to help you. OPT

Old 10-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Getting ready to try this out. Wish me luck.